From:
Barbara Jean Kuehl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 1995 13:25:52 -0500

I just had surgery about a month ago and asked the same questions of
my surgeon and anesthesiologist...are there any gluten problems with
IV drips, medications, etc.  I was informed that anything given by
IV, such as fluids, medications, anesthesia, etc., bypasses the
digestive tract and shouldn't present a problem to the intestinal
mucosa.  As for oral analgesics, you would have to speak with your
doctors on a per pill basis as some might and some might not.

As for the hospital dieticians being aware of celiac disease...
it's probably hit and miss.  Some do, some don't.  Following my
surgery, I was given a tray with soft, glutenfree (supposedly)
foods.  Most of them were...orange jello, coffee, milk, cranberry
juice.  But there was also included a bowl of beef broth with no
label.  Most of us are aware that beef broth can contain MSG
(monosodium glutamate) and/or HVP (hydrolyzed vegetable protein
of an unidentified source).  Since they didn't include a list
of the ingredients on the broth, I have to assume it was not GF.

Fortunately, I went home the night of my surgery so I wasn't
subjected to several days of unidentified hospital food.  Were
I to stay longer, I think that I would have requested a private
audience with the head dietician in order to discuss my meals.
In addition, I would require that a label for any processed food
they serve me be included on my tray.  If those two requests were
not honored by the hospital, I would 1) refuse to eat anything
I was not sure about and 2) have my husband bring me my meals.

Personal experience with 10 years of eating glutenfree has shown
me that NO ONE (except another celiac) can be trusted to know for
sure that something is or is not GF.

BJ