Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:35:01 -0700

Thank you all so much for the helpful hints.  The overall concensus was that the parents should talk to the child and explain everything as with a 13 yr. old they have to want to do it.  Some said that to be successful having the whole household gluten free is very helpful.  My sister says that is not possible in her family but I do believe it can still be done.  I think alot of families feel it is an added expense.

I have delt with this issue with my own children, one of my sons follows the diet but cheats.  One should follow the diet and doesnt, he has recently developed hypothroidism and his doctor even told him he should get on the diet.  They are grown and on their own so alot harder for them now.    I spend alot of time wishing I knew about celiac when they were younger so it would have become a way of life for them but was totally unaware...

Janet, Maine