From:
Christine Pfund <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:54:25 -0700

Hello all,

I was roaming through my local Vons Grocery store
yesterday looking for molasses (which by the way is in
the syrup aisle....not the baking aisle...apparently
it's not a common ingredient in "normal" bread!) and
found powdered buttermilk (officially SACO cultured
Buttermilk Blend)!!! I don't know how long this stuff
have been on the market, but no one ever told me about
it, and the shelf tag claimed that it was new at this
store. At any rate, I
stopped in my tracks and called the 800 number
(1800-373-7226 they are on Central Time) and confirmed
that it was indeed GF.  I don't know
about the rest of you, but I hate recipes that call
for buttermilk, because you almost always have to buy
an entire container for two or three tablespoons, and
the rest goes to waste (because no matter how hard I
try, I just can't convince myself to do enough baking
to use it all before it goes bad). With this stuff,
you just add 4 Tablespoons powder to a cup of water
and voila! Buttermilk! (I especially like that the
conversions are simple...I'd be in real trouble if I
had to do some actual math to make less than a cup!)

Anyway, just thought I'd share, for those of you, like
myself that are looking for an easy out with the
buttermilk!

The company email is [log in to unmask], and web
address is www.sacofoods.com.

I should also mention that this stuff turns out low
fat buttermilk....less than 1g per 8oz serving (once
reconstituted).

--Kristi in L.A.-- (who's a little too excited about
her powdered milk!)

---------------------------------------

HOLY COW!!! I just hit the company's
website.....here's the first question and answer from
their FAQs:

Question: I am a gluten-intolerant person (Celiac
Sprue Disease), and would like to know which of your
products are suitable for my gluten-free diet. Many
preservatives, extracts, gums, etc., are sources of
gluten because the process used to make those
ingredients involve a gluten-containing grain of some
kind.

Answer: According to our manufacturers, the following
items are...

Gluten-Free:
Mix'n Drink, Buttermilk Blend, Baking Cocoa, Chunks,
Dolci Frutta, and Kwik Kream.

Not Gluten-Free:
No Sugar Added Hot Cocoa, and the Regular Hot Cocoa.