From:
Joanne D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 23:06:46 -0400

My local health food co-op has decided to mark all the wheat free and gf
items in the store using colored dots on the shelf tags.  We embarked on
this project today.  However, in dotting some items, I was confused as to
how sensitive the wheat free-folks are.

For instance, do wheat free people have the same sensitivities to alcohol
and vinegar as celiacs?  I have assumed that wheat free people can eat
grain alcohols and vinegars.  (I also have assumed celiacs cannot eat those
items)

Are natural flavors, therefore not an issue for wheat free folks?

Is yeast, yeast extract, or autolysed yeast a problem for wheat free folks?

Is blue cheese a problem for wheat free folks?

Finally, is anyone aware of a company that make brown rice syrup that is
*not* started on barley?  Wilde Temptings has a bread mix that has gluten
free on the package, but has rice syrup solids in the package.

Last of all, can anyone tell me which soy products (miso, tofu) are made
*without * wheat in the processing?

Much thanks to all that can help with any of these summary questions.

Joanne