From:
Mary Carol DeZutter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 12:18:27 -0500

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query about vegetables. Here's the
summary of responses:

- - - - - - - - -
MY ORIGINAL EMAIL:

                I have been on a GF diet for about 6 months now and
everything is going relatively well. I have mainly been trying to eat fresh
everything, fish, meat, poultry, fruits, vegetables, etc. I have loved,
since I was a child, eating  cucumbers and tomatoes, just plain or with a
little salt. Lately, though, eating either of these has been causing me some
digestive problems. This might not be gluten-related, but I thought I would
check with everyone to see if they've encountered anything similar? This
didn't used to happen before the GF diet.

- - - - - - - - -
SUMMARY OF RESPONSES:

There is a book which might help you! "4 blood types, 4 diets: Eat Right for
your Type" by Dr. Peter D'Adamo.  Makes a lot of sense to me .... I am an O
type!
- - - - - - - - -
For me, it's those dad-blasted little seeds! It's actually quite simple to
scoop the seeds out of the cuke with a large spoon. For the tomato, cut into
wedges and use your finger to scoop out the seeds. You (and others, too)
will find the taste is never bitter and the after-effects will be greatly
diminished. Tiny seeds (like raspberry, figs, and kiwi) are absolutely
killers for me! By the way, these seeds are always on the avoid list for
irritable bowel syndrome....not to mention diverticulitis.
- - - - - - - - -
Since the gf diet eating tomatoes or bananas makes me allergic to my
cats!!!! Who knows? Good Luck
- - - - - - - - -
I know from the diet my autistic son is on that the veggies you mention are
high in salicylates. That could be the trouble, not the gluten aspect.
Autistic kids can't digest these salicylates, maybe you cannot either. Just
a thought. Gluten problems could have masked a reaction to these veggies
previously.
- - - - - - - - -
If you are eating fish other than at home, make sure that it is not being
flowered before cooking.
- - - - - - - - -
Maybe the tomatoes are too acidic for you alone with nothing else. Maybe you
became allergic to it. If it is heartburn or acid reflux, it is the acid, if
not allergy could be the problem.
- - - - - - - - -
Many people have additional sensitivities other than gluten. Bette Hagman
says in one of her cookbooks that she can't eat apples - no gluten in
apples, but they don't agree with her. I would try eliminating first the
tomatoes, then the cucumbers to see which is the offender.  Whatever works -
do it - is our motto.
- - - - - - - - -
My observation would be to check to see if you are getting adequate fiber in
your diet.  The gluten-free diet really changes the total balance of what we
eat as grains are the major source of fiber-look  at the USDA's Food
Pyramid.  Tomatoes and cucumbers are mainly water-I love them and eat many
when my garden is supplying me.  As I age I've noticed that my digestive
system keeps changing-I try to chew my food more before swallowing as
digestion begins in the mouth.  I find that helps-My husband is a fast eater
so I have to ignore him or I too will eat too fast!!
- - - - - - - - -
suggestion: try organic veggies.  You may be reacting to pesticides and
residues.
- - - - - - - - -
It could be the damage to your intestine has not completely healed,
therefore some foods that are "harder" to digest are causing you problems.
I couldn't eat apples for the first year of my gluten free diet-they caused
pains and bloating.  I've been gluten free for almost two years now, and I
eat at least one apple every day without any  problems.  Maybe you should
put them "on hold" for now, and try them later?
- - - - - - - - -
Are you using Plain salt, not Iodized salt.  I know for us DHers that
Iodized salt is a killer.  If you're eating lots of fish, you probably don't
need the iodine anyway, so go plain salt.  It's usually on the very bottom
shelf of the grocery store of course!
- - - - - - - - -
My grandparents were farmers and grew all there own fruits and vegetables.
I know that after a time, the cucumbers and tomatoes bothered my
grandmother, so she actually found seeds for "burpless" cucumbers and
non-acidic tomatoes.  Then she could eat them all the time.  I have no idea
if you can find these in the store, but when I read your e-mail it made me
recall this memory.
- - - - - - - - -
My doctor told me that it wasn't unusual to have trouble digesting some
things until your gut completely heals - this appears take upwards of two
years in some people, depending on what kind of damage has been done.  My
trouble was bananas - two years later, I still have a little trouble
digesting them, but not as much as I used to, i.e., I can eat them cooked or
raw on a full stomach, but not on an empty stomach.  Cucumbers are normally
known for giving people gas and a lot of diets advocate staying off of
tomatoes because they are so acidic - cooking them just makes it worse.
- - - - - - - - -
Since going GF I've found I can no longer tolerate green peas, and hard
boiled eggs give me a problem but scrambled eggs or omletes are O.K.  In the
Taber's Medical Encyclopedia, under Celiac Disease, it says some patients
may have trouble with cucumbers. This is the only reference to cukes I've
seen with regard to celiac disease.
- - - - - - - - -
The same thing has happened to me with cucumbers.  I used to be able to eat
them raw all I wanted - and except for the occasional burping that most
people seem to experience with cucumbers, I never had any other problems.
But, since being GF (2 years - I am 22)  I haven't been able to handle them
or any raw veggies real well. Form what I understand, depending on the way
you eat, fiber is hard on a stomach that doesn't have a lot of carbos (what
we are missing without the grains)  I would be interested in hearing what
else you find out on this, and if anyone has any solutions!
- - - - - - - - -
I also have digestive problems with both of these vegetables.  Although it
doesn't seem as severe as a gluten reaction - they do bother me.  Tomatoes -
especially cooked ones seem to give me diarrhea.
- - - - - - - - -
I have some problem with tomatoes now. They seen to be to acid and makes me
constipated
I think it is common to develop other food intolerance after going
gluten-free.  Don't know why.  I take digestive enzymes (Pancreatin)that I
get at the health food store and these help me digest vegetables better.  I
still won't get near a cucumber, though!
A diet high in fresh vegetables will cause gas and other digestion problems.
Try steaming the vegetables.  Cooked vegetables will not cause the problems.