From:
neng tsz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2007 09:35:18 +0000

Thanks to all who responded.   Had no problems during the visit to Korea and found that Bimbimbop was the best dish.   I was not in large cities and ate only at ethnic restaurants.  I am also a vegetarian and did not check any of the meat dishes.

You may want to take your own gluten-free soy sauce.  I do not eat any soy products

Summary follows:

Wheat is being utilized more and more and also in traditionally rice only foods.   Rice flour may contain wheat.   Even when asking you may not receive a straight answer.  (I have found this to be true in Taiwan also.)

 I have had chicken on the stick and that is fine.  The beef is
usually marinated in something. If you have a korea speaker with you to help
explain that is great.  There are some things at Budda belly(in Itaewon)
that I can have. That is a Thai restaraunt.  There Thai Orchad but I got
sick there.  Of course Outback seems to be ok here as well.
Stay away from Benegans.  Got majorly sick there and I am not very
sensative but I stayed in the bathroom after eating there.  I have Dh as
well so I have to stay away from seafood and the seaweed.  Kimbop is good
if you are not allergic to Iodine.

I eat out at the places where you can grill the meat
yourself and eat it with rice and lettuce. Very safe to eat.  I have found
that those are the best places to eat at for Korean food.

if going out to eat.  Bimbimbop is very good. ask for
the red pepper sauce on the side or red pepper in oil.  The red pepper
paste has wheat in it.  Well the kimchi,  can be made with red pepper
or red pepper paste, you will just have to ask.  And sometimes you might
not get a straight answer.
Traditionally Korean food doesn't contain a lot of wheat--only noodles and soy sauce.  This is changing rapidly and wheat flour is being added.

Miso is made from soy beans or rice with a barley starter.
  Try not to eat anything with a soy base sauce.  There
are 2 different kinds.  One that is put on rice(very rarely) and one that
is cooked in soups.  The one that is used for soup is safe to eat, but
that is cooking in the home.  while eating out, I stay away from all
sauces to be on the safe side.

 You cannot have any of the mandu recipes which are made from
wheat.  I suggest you go to a book store or libary and check Korea cook book
for the recipes.  Go with a list of safe recipes

*******
*******