From:
Ian Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 1998 22:39:20 -0500

Dear Listmembers,

Once again I thank G-d for the wonderful people on this list.  You are all
the best friends anyone could have.  I received tons of responses with some
very interesting suggestions.  I will attempt to summarize here and if I
have missed anyone, I truly apologize.

Several people suggested that my daughter might have strep throat or mono
or the mumps.  She was tested for strep (negative) and I am taking her to
be tested for mono, or mumps.

Some people suggested that she might be sensitive to some chemical in her
school or home (I will ask) or something that she uses at school, or
something in her surroundings like clothes, smoke, etc.

Some people suggested that it could be that she has developed a sensitivity
to other foods that she is eating frequently.  I will have her tested
again.  She was taking a calcium supplement that said it was GF on the
label, but when I stopped giving it to her, she got better.

Some people suggested a vitamin deficiency or an enzyme deficiency.  I will
check into this.

A couple of people suggested candida!  I never thought about that.  I will
have her tested.

A couple of people said that she might be suffering from another auto
immune disease like Grave's or Lupus.  I will certainly check into this.

Several people have mentioned that airborne allergies are very bad this
year and that mold, pollen etc. could be the cause.

A couple of people have suggested putting her on a rotation diet to avoid
overexposure to the things she is not allergic to so that she won't develop
a problem with them.

One person said to watch out for sulfa drugs due her sensitivity to
sulfites in foods.  They are apparently connected.

One person said that had a reaction to drinking seltzer water.  Not all
seltzers are GF.

Several people said that they too suffered from mouth sore.  Someone
suggested cutting out citrus until they went away.  One person said
sorbitol in fruit could be the culprit.

Someone asked if she could have mercury poisoning from fillings in her
mouth.

One person asked if she ate liver, because if it's from a chicken that eats
grain it could cause a reaction.  The liver filters all the impurities.

One person also asked if she was under stress which could put strain on her
immune system.  She was undergoing testing at school last week!  She said
it didn't bother her, but maybe this was her way of reacting.

One person asked if she is eating apples. Digesting apples requires an
enzyme called phenolsulphurtransferase, and her problems with  sulfites,
nitrites, and nitrates suggest a deficiency in this enzyme.

Well there you have it.  Sorry this was long, but hopefully it will help
someone in the future when they look it up on the archives.

Once again, thanks for your comforting words of support and concern.

Good health to all.

Warmly,

Bev Wahl in Chicago, IL USA