From:
"Karen M. Davis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 1995 09:43:58 -0700

Someone asked:

> Please help me identify drugs or other products or exposures
> associated with a hospital-based labor and delivery which may
> be a problem for an expectant celiac.

Be prepared to bring *all* of her food from home. Make sure that her OB
writes *MAY BE FED FROM HOME* on the chart. Check with the hospital
pharmacist beforehand about their sources of Tylenol, etc. The IV
solutions I had were not a problem (n-saline, n-saline with Pitocin). The
food was. I spent *hours* explaining to the dietitian what I was and was
not allowed to eat - they tried to serve me a sandwich (!) for my late
night meal after delivery (some kindly nurses found some fruit and juice
for me, and after not eating for 16 hours, I really needed some *food*).
The next day, the "rice" at lunch was Rice-a-Roni. Next :-( It was
downhill from there - even though the dietitian had assured me that
they'd be able to feed me - DON'T BELIEVE THEM! Fortunately, my husband
and mother were there to bring food in for me. I went home less than 48
hours after a difficult C-section. While I should not have been released
so soon, my doctor felt that I was safer eating out of my own kitchen
than the hospital's, and with an RN/mother to accompany me, she'd let him
know if anything went really wrong.

karen

[log in to unmask]   (if urgent, use [log in to unmask] - the better half)
Karen Davis of Davis and Associates (818)892-8555
           "Pain is Mother Nature's way of telling us to slow down;
                       Death is her way of INSISTING!"