From:
Ernest Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 1997 09:02:22 +0100

I recommend the "New Bread Recipe" from  "The Practical Gluten-Free
Cookbook," by Arlene Setzer.  Distributed by:  Main Street Systems, Route
2, Highway 35, Trempealeau, WI 54661 ( I have no financial interest in this
book or company.)

Even when I baked "real" bread, sometimes bought imitation French bread
from the grocery store to use for French toast.  In my estimation (Warning:
my CS taste buds are about four years old), the above bread makes pretty
decent substitute. The ABSENCE OF EGGS makes the bread lighter. It also may
be used for sandwiches if you are interested primarily in something to put
the good ingredients in between.  Baked in English muffin rings, it makes a
hamburger bun.  I mix with a spoon since it is roughly the consistency of a
stiff cake batter.  You may vary the muffins by adding more GF flours and
using a table mixer and dough hook and bake in rings to get more the
consistency of an English muffin.

Also,I replace the yeast, sugar, and some of the water with a
"sourdough" starter:  Mix:  1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup potato flakes, 1 package
of GF granular yeast, and one pint of warm water. (A quart jar works
great.)  Cover loosely and let stand at room temperature for at least
twelve hours. This may be used immediately or stored in refrigerator for a
week or more.  After using a portion (let come to room temperature), add
sugar, potato flakes, water and repeat above process.

Ernest Lane
Boone, NC