From:
Lynda Swink <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 08:18:49 -0700

Thanks to all my friends on the list for your help.  We had a wonderful
time!  Here is the information you sent, and again, THANK YOU!

Most of the information I received suggested calling ahead and talking
to the chefs.  Others suggested talking to the managers of the fast food
places and getting their advice.  As I was not in charge of my own time,
I could not take the options I needed.  And so I therefore ended up
eating at the fast food place in Tomorrowland.  I ordered the broiled
chicken sandwich and fries (I NOW FIND THAT THESE ARE NOT MENTIONED IN
ANYONES ADVICE!).  The young man behind the counter tried to be very
helpful, and genuinely seemed concerned that he would get it right. I
had to laugh when I did get my meal, as I had to ask for a fork and
knife to eat it with, and when he forgot my fries he just grabbed the
sandwich off of one and gave it to me.  If I had been anywhere else,
under different circumstances, I probably would have given him a lecture
(politely of course!).  But I had several first graders in tow, and they
had already waited quite a few extra minutes for me and my special meal.
The end result?  I thoroughly enjoyed myself (and so did the kids) and I
did not get sick.  Sometimes, I just have to "wing it" or starve.

One list member suggested that I run a search in the archives, and this
is a helpful suggestion!  She sent me the results anyway, and there was
quite a bit of information to be had.  But again, this was very
last-minute, I don't often get to the website, and so therefore don't
really know my way around.   :-\  Next time I go I will be very well
prepared!

The following information was of great concern to me, and I had been
told by the staff at my school that I could NOT bring any food or
beverages into the park. I now know better!   She said:  >>>>. Have fun
and you will be able to carry some stuff in.  Even with staff checking
bags, etc. at the gates since 9/11...I have never been questioned about
the food I had with me. <<<<

And in the same vein:  >>>>>>I hope you get this in time. I usually
bring my own food and put it in the lockers (it's easier and cheaper!).
I know that the Award Wieners in California Adventure serves GF French
Fries, but for all the times I've been to Disney in the last three
months (we go every other week or so) I haven't much looked into it. I
know that the folks at the Rainforest Cafe are wonderful and very
helpful, (I recommend the Plant Sandwich without the sandwich part) but
I'm told that Disney is a wonderful place to eat if you have problems
finding food elsewhere, you may want to ask around a bit to figure out
who is the ultimate person to ask. The folks that run the carts all over
are also sweet enough to let you scour their wares for something to

eat.>>>>>

Try www.goodhealthpublishing.com for a guide with 50 national/regional
restaurants and their lists of Gf/WF menu items.

Don't panic -- Disney is EXTREMELY friendly to celiacs.  Ask for the
food manager at the fast food places and let him know -- they are all
aware of food allergies and celiac disease. they will be able to tell
you what you can eat.  Burgers are safe and the hotdogs.  many of the
fries are safe (and they have Mc D's fries in stands around the park!)
as are the salads.  I ate like a queen at every park in Disney.

We just returned from Disneyland.  We were able to order GF food at the
Disneyland Hotel (Goofy's Kitchen), Paradise Pier Hotel (Minney's
Kitchen), and inside California Adventure at Ariel's Grotto.

Call the dining services and ask for Chef Chris.  We went in November &
the hamburger and the fries at the fast food in Tomorrowland were GF but
you have to ask for the supervisor first. The frozen lemonades & I think
the popcorn in the park are also GF. They are also very accommodating in
the Disneyland hotel restaurants if you again ask for the manager.

There's a Mexican fast-food place (with TONS of seating) in Frontierland
that has lots of GF food.  The chefs in the back were very helpful, and
I ordered beans, rice & guacamole there a few times.  My daughter had
some of the BBQ (if I'm remembering correctly).

Hope this helps someone,

Lynda Swink

~*~ [log in to unmask]  ~*~ _@V ~*~