Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:21:58 -0700

Like Richard, I am concerned whether products are GF if they are labeled
as wheat free or the manufacturer lists wheat as an allergen but not
barley or rye.  My approach to this has been to research barley and rye
on the internet so I know how they are used in food.  I have quoted
liberally from a variety of sources without providing citations below.
(if you would like the citations, which range from a barley grower's
association to a Canadian educational site, let me know and I will send
you the original materials in a word file.)  My own opinions are clearly
indicated.  Since I was unable to find the answers to all my questions,
I have drawn my own conclusions.  If you have any better information,
please share with all of us.

RYE is used in bread and in rye whiskey.  Not likely to be a hidden
ingredient as far as I can tell.

BARLEY can be found (or hidden) in many different foods.  About 25% of
the cultivated barley in the United States is used for malting. Of that
amount, about 80% is used in beer production, 14% is used in distilled
alcohol production, and finally the last 6% is used for malt syrup,
malted milk, and breakfast foods.  Some of the food products that can
contain barley: porridge, granola, muesli, cookies, muffins, desserts,
cereals, salads, puddings, soups, stews, casseroles, muffins, cookies,
pancakes, breads, pasta, biscuits, pizza crusts.

(1) Maltose is the sugar from barley.
(2) Rice syrups,  rice honey, and corn syrup contain barley.
(3) Barley malt is used in beer, in extracts and syrups for adding
flavor, color or sweetness to commercially prepared foods such as
cereals, baked goods, confections and beverages.
(4) Barley grits are often used in commercial food applications such as
in processed cereals, as a binder in meatless patties, or as a
tenderizer or extender in low-fat ground meats.
(5)  There are Japanese and Korean foods based on barley, including
Miso, as a rice extender, barley flour for noodles and baked products,
and even roasted barley tea.
(6)   in western foods more barley with its high dietary fibre and low
gluten can be used for making flat breads, pastries, cookies, cakes,
tortillas, noodles, muffins and it can be used as a thickener for soups,
gravies, stews, soy milk and sauces. And there is pearled barley used in
soups and risottos, barley flakes used in cereals and snack foods, and
barley bran as a high fibre ingredient.
(7)  Barley is likely to be used more when the FDA approves health
claims for barley, similar to those already achieved for oats, that
dietary soluble fibre present in high concentrations in barley can
reduce the risk of coronary heart disease by lowering blood cholesterol.
(8) Pearled barley  can be used in soups or dressings, or turned into
flour. If it is turned into flour it can be used in baby foods,
breakfast cereals, or combined with wheat flour for baking. Barley is
also used in the production of vinegar.
(9) Barley enzymes hydrolyze starch to dextrins and fermentable sugars.
(10)  Barley is also used in the production of beer and some wines.  As
far as I have been able to tell, these wines are called barley wines and
so the ingredient isn't hidden.
(11) Caramel malt is a term often used in connection with making beer or
barley wine.  I believe that sometimes ingredients listing "caramel" is
short for caramel malt or is made using caramel malt and therefore
contains barley.

So in summary, I believe barley might be hidden in unspecified
sweetners, in natural or artificial flavorings, in unspecified flour, in
unspecified bran, in unspecified meat extenders, in unspecified binders,
in natural or artificial colors, in unspecified meat tenderizer, in
caramel, or in any ingredient or word that includes the letters "malt."

If a product claims to be wheat free (and doesn't list anything with
barley, malt, or rye) but lists any of the above, I would be sure to
contact the manufacturer to make sure it didn't contain barley.

Jackie in AZ