From:
Carolyn Rasche <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carolyn Rasche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2006 23:33:53 -0500

? My daughter and I are both celiacs and both are on a number of generic =
drugs. Any information about what is in generic drugs and how to find =
out? I have called my pharmacist and he has given me a list of various =
companies that he uses. It seems like it will be a very timely process =
to track each company down. Any ideas?
Carolyn Rasche

 Thank you for all your many responses. The following websites and resources were recommended:
:     www.glutenfreedrugs.com run by a pharmacist
.
http://homepage.mac.com/sholland/celiac/GFmedlist.pdf

Do you know about the Wheaton Ill group's GF food and GF drug websites?
http://homepage.mac.com/sholland/celiac/GFmedlist.pdf

http://www.clanthompson.com/prod_downloads.php3
our DRUG SMARTLIST contains information on around 2,000 products.

I have a complete list of Pharmaceutical cos. and
phone nos. from "Through the Medicine Cabinet".

Other comments were:
talk to your pharmacist and get the toll free number of the co. and call the generic company directly,
have the doctor write gluten free on the prescription,
One person calls the generic co from the pharmacy, or request brand names only from the doctor.

When the doctor said for example, fexofenidine (generic Allegra) I asked the pharm
what company he uses & the telephone number.  I call, ask for product ingredients
customer service, ask whether any ingredient is derived from grain and what grain is it?
When they say "from corn" or "from potato" I say, "so not from wheat, barley, rye or oat?
 I cannot have gluten because I have Celiac Disease."  Its that simple and I have never had
a problem asking or getting the info.

I have to say most prescriptions are gluten free (in the US anyway).
I think I found 1 in all my years of doing this (19 years) that had gluten
in it.

I use Walgreens and on the prescription label, it tells the manufacturer.
Walgreens told me that they would notify customers if the manufacturer
changed on the prescription, but I wouldn't necessarily rely on that but
would check each time to make sure it is the same one.  I found the company
online and called and they said all of their drugs were gf.  Depending on
how many different companies you have to call, it might be time-consuming at
first, but then you would only have to call on new prescriptions or
manufacturers or periodically to verify.  It is sounding more time consuming
as I go on, but everything about this is time consuming!:)