Date:
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 10:57:23 -0700

Just returned from Maui with my 2 daughters who are Celiac. We stayed in Lahaina (highly recommended!) in a condo so we did do some cooking but ate out a lot too.

"Penne Pasta" on Dickenson St., Lahaina has a choice of whole wheat or rice noodles and just about all the sauces are GF also. Not much on atmosphere and the food was OK but it was great to have a GF pasta meal.

The "Blue Lagoon" in the Cannery on Front St., Lahaina (lovely outdoor cafe) was another place we ate and found GF dinners. Don't remember what they had but it was good.

There is an ice cream shop on Front St. that makes it's own ice cream and can tell you ingredients. It is on a corner on the same side as the Banyon Tree (not the one that sells brand name ice cream like Dreyers...go a block further). The favorite flavor was the Kona coffee with chocolate chunks, chopped Macadamia nuts, and shredded coconut...awesome! Can't remember the name of the flavor but just look around.

In Kehei we found the "Royal Thai Cuisine" in the Azteka (sp?) Shopping Center on South Kehei Rd. Coming from Lahaina turn right into the mall (it is on both sides of road). Restaurant is back in the left corner. Great menu! Everything GF...and delicious!

If you do a luau the "Feast at Lele" at 500 Front St., Lahaina is expensive but wonderful. It was right next door to where we were staying so it was convenient too. If you tell them beforehand that you need GF foods they will be ready for you. The feast is spread out over a couple of hours and each course is served from a different Polynesian country accompanied by a show from same country. Every time they brought a course to our table they would describe everything and tell us which dish or dishes were not GF. They would place all the GF foods in front of my girls and anything else in front of me. There wasn't very much that they couldn't eat and each course had at one, two or three GF items (even the poi!). The best was the dessert. There wasn't much they could have from the regular dessert plate so they brought out this gorgeous plate of fruit for each of them with a chocolate truffle that was GF! It was so beautiful that people around us were looking and commenting. It was worth
 a picture. All in all the Feast at Lele outdid themselves and we felt truely pampered and went home stuffed!

Hope anyone going to Maui enjoys their vacation as much as we did!

Aloha!

Jane in CA