From:
Chris Silker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 15:17:53 -0500

I got two fabulous respones (included below) to my question about where to
eat in Denver and Boulder, Colorado. Thanks!

Chris Silker
---------------------------
I've worked in an Indian Restaurant for the past 8 1/2 years and the best
thing about it, you can eat anything on the menu but the bread and (the
majority)the appetizers which are deep fried.  However, the food is
wonderful.  Everything is good, but here are some recommendations:

Delhi Darbar Delhi Darbar
Call the Denver # (303) 595-0680 and they can
direct you to Boulder (it's not long distance)

Appetizer:
Channe ki chat (chick peas, potatos, tomatoes, spices)
Punjabi Murgh (Indian hot wings, hotness can vary)
Katchumber Salad (cucumber/tomato salad)
Tandoori (cooked in clay oven, similar to barbeque with no sauce):
Either of the chicken dishes
Boti Kebab (lamb)
Prawns (mmm!!)

Vegetables:
My favorite is Shahi Sabz (mixed vegetables) but Saag Paneer (spinach and
cheese) and Baygun Bhurta (egg plant) are very popular.

The Vegetarian Thali is a combination and is good.

Chicken:
Murgh Ticca Masala (chicken in a cream sauce)
Murgh Vindaloo (hot curry)
Murgh Karahi (chicken in curry sauce)

Lamb:
Boti Surinder (lamb in a cream sauce)
Rogan Josh (lamb curry)

Seafood (shrimp & swordfish)
Shrimp Bhuna (shrimp in curry sauce w/lots of sweet onions)
Shrimp Saag (spinach and shrimp)
Shrimp Makanwala (shrimp in a cream sauce)
****
Drinks: Mango Lassi (mango/yogurt drink)
Chai (hot tea spiced w/cinnamon, cardemum bay leaves, cloves, milk & sugar)

Dessert: Rasmalai (cheese cutlets in heavy cream)
Rice Pudding
Kulfi (Indian ice-cream)

These are just some of my favorites, but everything is good.

p.s.  You can also eat the papedums which are crispy looking, folded
tortillas...they automatically come to your table after you order.  They
are made from lentel flour and cracked pepper.  Served with mint and
tamaron chutney, which are both wonderful.

I also recently ate at the Cheesecake Factory, both in Denver and Boulder.
They have a shrimp dish which I substituted pasta for mashed potatoes.
The shrimp was battered and crusty, but I had explained to the waiter
beforehand and he checked everything out for me.  I was afraid of the
crust on the shrimp, and was absolutely delighted to find out they used
rice flour to bread it!!!

There are many Indian Restaurants in Boulder/Denver, and though I'm sure
the majority of them are g/f, but I know exactly what is at the restaurant
where I worked.
-----------------------------

I live & work in Boulder and have been eating at good restaurants here for
years with no reactions. Some of the best are:

Chez Thuy - Vietnamese food. Stick with the Vietnamese choices as they
don't put soy sauce in them. The best are the Crystal Rolls - Rice paper
and rice noodles with fish or meat in them, the soups with rice noodles,
grilled meats with rice paper, etc, it's on 28th street, 1 block south of
Valmont.

The 14th Street Grill - on 14 & Pearl (as in the Pearl Street Mall) - just
tell them what listed entree or special you're interested in - that you
can't have anything with wheat, soy sauce, etc., they'll adjust the
entree and come up with something wonderful!

Zolo's Grill - just west of 28th street on Arapahoe in the Village Shopping
center. Wonderful southwestern food. The wait staff is very knowledgeable -
I go there so much they know what to tell me will work for me from the
specials list - and they know how to modify the set menu so I can have it.
Most things are fine just the way they are.

And if you want a quick meal - go to the Whole Foods Market on Pearl
between 28th & 30th. They have lots of prepared food - hot & cold and they
know what's in it.