From:
Lisa Wicklund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:28:22 EST

Hi Everyone:

I recently posted a concern regarding the questionable safety of ingesting a
Cook's Ham. Some of you were quite confident that Cook's was g/f, based on a
non reaction after ingesting it.   My point of concern was this: how do we
know the following things?"  1. Does the person we talk to on the other end
of the telephone know exactly what gluten means?  (In many instances, no)
Another note: how long has that person you have been talking to been with
company?  2 days?  2 years?   2. Those of you who have not had any problems,
do you typically react violently to any amount of gluten?  Again, I have
talked to some members who only experience bloatedness and diarrhea after
ingesting gluten. Gluten does not seem to literally debilitate some people in
bed for a few days until its effects are worn off.

I am very cautious whether or not someone from a company knows what gluten is
and its effects on Celiacs.

Now, here is a prime example of my defense:

Chris Silker, from Minneapolis, MN wrote on a product called "Soy
Delicious" a soy based ice cream like product which is very good by the
way. Anyway, she invited us to plug into their website as I would all of
you at: www.turtlemountain.com and find out if the product contains
gluten. You must click on FAQ's.

My theory in the Cook's Ham illustration above clearly spells out how
misinformed people are about gluten. EXAMPLE GIVEN:  The first question is:

1. Q:  Is it gluten free"

    A.  "Natural flavors are in an alcohol base: the alcohol may have gluten
in it. Apart from that possible source: all Turtle Mountain products are
gluten free."

My thought is this: How many of these types of products contain natural
flavors? If most of them do, then shall say that it is just fine to ignore
the little bit of gluten because the rest of the ingredients do not contain
gluten and therefore it is gluten free.

Will a little rat poison hurt a little rat?   Maybe if he eats around it or
pretends that it is not there.

Enough said.

Take care all,

Lisa