Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 19:20:56 EST

Hi Listmates,
I received 12 responses to my query for info. about the gf status of lime in
tortillas and chips.
Seven responses asked for a summary.
Two repondents stated that lime is a mineral (calcium carbonate) and,
therefore, should be gluten free.  (BTW, the lime is used in a solution to
help soften the corn kernals. Then it's poured off.)
One reply mentioned they used Gringo Pete's corn tortillas which contain lime
and they haven't had any problems with them.
Two people said they didn't know what the person in the original post meant
and, in the absence of supporting data, planned to ignore it.
Two websites were mentioned:
http://www.tortilla-info.com
http://www.guiltlessgourmet.com
I sent emails to both sites requesting any info that lime might not be gf, but
haven't received any replies yet.  I will post any info. that I receive that
might indicate there is a gluten problem with lime.
I don't know what the original poster meant (something implying the FDA
allowed gluten into lime), I had guessed it might be a matter of mixing the
lime powder with flour (like some spice blends do).  However, lacking any
evidence to the contrary, I will continue to enjoy corn tortillas and chips.
Thanks to all who took their time to provide the info.
Kate in VA