From:
cillakat <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 17:59:19 -0500

LOL

It's technically called Red Devil Cake.  I don't have great luck using
normal recipies while just subbing out eggs for flax meal.  The texture
was phenominal.  My kids loved the taste - batter and cooked - LOL.

so anyway:
Red Devil Cake

2 c flour ( i used sylvan border farms gf all purpose mix)
1c sugar (I used rapadura organic completely unrefined sugar)
1/2c cocoa powder
2t  double acting baking powder (I used the potato based one, blue label)
2t baking soda
1/2t salt
2 T flax seeds
1/3c water
1t xanthan gum
1c diced cooked beets (i didn'thave beets and used sweet potato instead)
1c water
1/3c canola oil (or whatever, I used walnut)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2t vanilla extract

1. preheat oven to 350. lightly oil or spray 8" square baking pan (i
used 9" round)
2. mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in bowl,
combine well
3.grind flax to powder in coffee grinder.
4. place 1/3 c water in blender, start blender, add flax meal.  blend 30
seconds (I scraped down the sides a couple times)
5.to blender, add beets, 1 c water, oil, vinegar and vanilla.  process
until frothy and well blended...add xanthan gum while blending.
6.pour liquid mixture (it's quite thick) into dry ingredients.  mix
quickly just until everything is evenly moistened.
7.pour batter into prepared pan.  bake *immediately* for 35-40 mins or
until tester comes out clean (which for us was actually only 25
minutes!....my daughter said, "look mommy, the cake is done".  I tested
it 2x.  She was right)

Frost when completely cool.

The cake had a fantastic texture.  I'd probably add more cocoa next
time....and chocolate chips to get a richer flavor.  but seriously, I
probably could also omit the chocolate, make them as muffins and have
reasonably healthy muffins/breakfast bread or whatever that my kids
would love.  they were eating the wet sweet potato mixture plain.
Anyway, once frosted, even I thought it was really good...

:)
katherine in atl
shocked that she made a cake from scratch