From:
Janice Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janice Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 19:58:19 -0500

The following summary was recently posted to the list:
Thanks to all who responded; the overwhelming advice and answers I received
said that yes, sprouted wheat, Ezekiel bread and wheat grass juice all have
gluten and are to be avoided at all times. This list is a great resource!

So, I posted the following question:
I have searched the internet and I am unable to find any information
whatsoever that says that wheatgrass and barleygrass contain gluten.
I even manipulated my searches so as to TRY to bring up sites that said it
did. All I found were hundreds of sites claiming wheatgrass to be GF. Can
someone explain how and why these sprouts contain gluten?

The following replies seem to sum it up best:

- As far as I know, the grass blades--that is the sprout part--would be gf.
But the germ or seed would contain gluten, so if any part of the germ or
seed still adheres to the sprout, that would contaminate any product made
from the grass. It's basically assuming that the sprouts might not have
been thoroughly cleaned and therefore just playing safe to avoid sprouted
grain products.
- Actually, the grasses themselves are gluten free. If you're handling your
own wheat grass, or can be sure that no wheat kernels/barley kernels are
going into the juicer, you're fine. It's the sprouted grains themselves -
with the kernel still attached, that is problematic.

Janice.