From:
"McGinn, Dianne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
McGinn, Dianne
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2007 08:58:41 -0400

Thanks to the multitude of helpful responders to my question about my
dietician saying I should avoid all Hydrolyzed Vegetable Proteins, Plant
Proteins, or Texturized Proteins.  The overwhelming consensus is that
the dietician is using outdated information (pre-Allergen Labeling Law),
or is just being unnecessarily cautious.

Some were concerned that I only mentioned wheat as a potential source to
avoid, so I wanted to let them know that wheat would be the only worry
with HVP, HPP and TVP as barley, rye and oats are not used as sources.

One response was especially informative and echoes most of the other
it:

"There's a great article online regarding reading labels for wheat in
light of the Allergen Labeling Law at
http://www.gfutah.org/label_reading.htm  Section on Hydrolyzed proteins
is shown below.  It has info on lots of other terms as well, so read the
entire article!   This is for FOOD which is regulated by the FDA.

Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein

CFR Title 21 Sec. 102.22 Protein hydrolysates.
The common or usual name of a protein hydrolysate shall be specific to
the ingredient and shall include the identity of the food source from
which the protein was derived.
(a) ``Hydrolyzed wheat gluten,'' ``hydrolyzed soy protein,'' and
``autolyzed yeast extract'' are examples of acceptable names.
``Hydrolyzed casein'' is also an example of an acceptable name, whereas
``hydrolyzed milk protein'' is not an acceptable name for this
ingredient because it is not specific to the ingredient (hydrolysates
can be prepared from other milk proteins). The names ``hydrolyzed
vegetable protein'' and ``hydrolyzed protein'' are not acceptable
because they do not identify the food source of the protein.

Hydrolyzed wheat protein as an ingredient on a food label is not
gluten-free.  Hydrolyzed soy protein is gluten-free."

Thanks again, Listmates,

Dianne in Maryland

.Notice:  This is a private and confidential communication. If you have received it in error or are otherwise not an authorized recipient, you are prohibited from using or disclosing it in any manner. Please notify us and remove it from your system.