From:
Linda Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 1995 21:14:29 -1000

I recently joined this group and this is my first post to it. I was biopsied
in 1983 after a long 3 year bout of running to doctors with a constant case
of what was called "the flu", intestinal gastrointeritis, and finally told I
was an anorexic. I had lost about 1/3 of my body weight by this time and was
at my wits end. I was hospitalized on a psychiatic ward for 45 days before I
was finally released and finally hooked up with a gastroenterologist who had
an inkling of what might be wrong. Though it wasn't  wonderful to find I had
this disease, it was good to know I wasn't crazy.

Someone here comented on the US doctors and that we shouldn't jump to
conclusions about their training. Granted, compared to other diseases,
celiac is not one of those that is found very often, but I find time and
again when I do go to a doctor for what ever reason and they ask for my
medical history I'm constantly asked what celiac sprue is?
If they don't get the education in the schools, perhaps we not only need to
teach the dieticians but some of the doctors as well. Strong words I
realize, after all, I'm not a doctor, only a pharmacy technician. But look
how many celiacs have gone through so much before finding out what was
wrong?    Just my two cents

Linda in Hawaii
Lyn Taylor

Every man dies, Not every man really lives!