From:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2016 22:50:33 +0000

Dear List Mates

I'm pleased to tell you that I am not doing the wrong bread-making experiments. While my latest experiment is edible, I'm not going to repeat it, at least not with Jovial no-added-starch flour.

I made a batch of dough using cool ingredients, proofed the yeast, and then put the dough in a bread pan and then into the fridge. Next day I pulled it out, brought it up to temperature, let it rise as much as it could (not enough) and baked it. While the result is not exactly a brick, the bubble size is smaller, less consistent, and favors the top of the loaf instead of being distributed pretty well top to bottom. I also noticed that the loaf was leaking carbon dioxide (visible movement of my fine oil spray over the bread surface).

The bread tastes good both toasted and un-toasted. So, I still like the overall results of the Jovial flour mix, but not the result of overnight proofing.

Jovial had a nice black Friday sale, and if you bought enough (I did), the delivery was free. And that is saying something for transport from Conn. to Calif.

Since Jovial paid for the shipping, I also bought a box of both types of pastry flour for testing. My Everloving is the pastry chef in our family, and it will be interesting to see what she comes up with.

Happy Holidays to all of the List Mates,

Vic
Sunnyvale, CA