From:
Suzanne Romey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 14:16:52 -0400

Warning - I'm on the soap box now.  I've never been medically diagnosed as
celiac, but I'm sure that it's at least part of my problem.  Since I'm new
at this, it has been really a challenge to constantly read labels and see
"natural flavors" etc. and other things such as vanilla or caramel which may
contain gluten but maybe not.  So my policy is to contact the company
whenever possible!  I think it's a shame that I would like to purchase
something but have to avoid it just because I don't know for sure it's safe!
Our options are really limited and it is better to know for sure a product
is GF.  I have found everyone that I've called to be extremely helpful.

I've only been trying to be gluten free since July and have had to learn the
hard way that it is necessary to be very careful.  I used to think that it
would be OK to ignore the "natural flavor" and "vanilla" etc, but for the
last month or so, I've been having intestinal pain.  So lately it has been
my policy to try to figure out what is causing my trouble.

Unfortunately, this problem doesn't seem to be solvable.  For example, I
e-mailed Imagine Foods, Inc. after I had a reaction to one of their
puddings.  I thought it was probably the vanilla.  However they reassured me
that their puddings are definitely gluten free!  So I haven't solved the
mystery, but at least I know that I can try the pudding again after I am
feeling better.

The other thing that seems to have irritated my intestines is vinegar.  I
have been avoiding grain vinegar, so I can't add any of my confusion to that
controversy.  But I did have an experience with grain alcohol.  I called a
soda company after having a reaction to their ginger ale, (sorry I forget
the name of the company).  They told me that grain alcohol has all of the
gluten removed before it is used in the fermentation of their drinks.  I
couldn't understand this concept, but I assumed that I am still getting a
gluten reaction although I can't be sure.  At least I know that I probably
have to avoid their drinks permanently.

If anyone would like the information from Imagine Foods, Inc. please let me
know since I think it may have already been posted.

Suzanne

ps.  sorry that I babbled on too long.