From:
Vicki Gainsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 23:29:20 EST

Hi List,

I was searching the web for Passover food items and came across this web
site: kosherfinder.com, which lists food items kosher for Passover.  It even
gives descriptions on each individual food item and why they may or may not
be suitable for Passover due to wheat involvement.  I was shocked by some of
the foods listed which may be derived from wheat.  One that really shocked me
was glucose, which in Europe only, may sometimes be made from wheat
derivitives.  In USA it is 100% made from corn or beets!   When I was reading
through it, I found the following listed and I thought it would be of
interest to all of you.  I personally do not agree with everything written
here, but at least there is mention of Celiac Disease!  I seem to be coming
across this quite often.  I sure hope this is from increased AWARENESS and
not just because I am so aware of it.

Happy Passover,
Vicki Gainsberg

GLUTEN FREE FLOUR:

Barkat may be used for people who suffer from Celiac Disease. This flour
is mostly found in Eretz Yisroel. This gluten free flour is kosher la
(TM)Pesach and is made of kitniyos and one who may be permitted to use
on Pesach will not be a oeYoitzea   (not comply) with the mitzvah of
matzoh even if it could be made into a matzoh.

Those who suffer from celiac disease and cannot tolerate any gluten are
exempt from the mitzvah of eating matzoh. Oats usually have a little
gluten in them so those who can tolerate some gluten should get oat
matzohs (see Oat Matzohs) or even better, spelt matzohs (see Spelt
Matzohs) or eat at least one ka (TM)zais of the most minimum shiur of
regular matzoh at the Seder.= If they can tolerate a little more, let
them eat one bigger ka (TM)zais. I must inform the public that the oats
used in making the oat matzohs for Pesach are literally gluten-free and
therefore, even if the cyliac sufferer can not tolerate any gluten, he
may still have the oat matzohs from England.

A company in Canada (Glengarry, Biotech, 850 Boundary Rd., Cornwall, ONT
K6H SR5; 613-936-2722, FAX 6l3-936-27l6, U.S. AfA1/2liate: Food
Analytics, Inc., Box 43, Massena, NY 13662, 800-263-3677, FAX 315-764-
7205) currently offers two types of tests for a oegluten,a   the major
protein in wheat. The home kit has been tested by Health and Welfare
Canada (their equivalent of the Food and Drug Administration) and found
acceptable for use by celiacs who desire a zero gluten diet. a oeThe
sensitivity of the home test is 0.016%, whereas the Codex Alimentarius
standard (United Nations) is 0.30%. The industry test has a sensitivity
of 0.003% gluten. The Canadian a oezeroa   standard is in fact a
oezero.a   The laboratory test has AOAC (Association of OfA1/2cial
Analytical Chemists) approval. The tests are based on monoclonal
antibodies, which bind to proteins from wheat, barley and rye, but not
to rice, corn and oats. It supposedly works on cooked products. This
obviously might be adapted for speciA1/2c Passover testing.

I found a company called the Gluten Free Pantry, located in Glanstanbury, CT.
Their phone number is (800) 291-8386. Many of these Gluten Free flours have
the supervision of the KVH.