From:
Donald Baisch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donald Baisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 13:30:03 -0700

I am a little confused by some list members coming out of the woodwork
and making some highly critical remarks about the proposed labeling
legislation at this time and date.

There are many of us who have been members and supporters of  celiac
support groups for  ver 15 years   who have been building data and
information related to celiac disease. It has taken the efforts of many
of us to get the attention of medical researchers, governmental
organizations, and clinical practitioners  regarding the prevalence of
celiac disease  in the U. S . It has been slow, but has been improving
year by year and a number of "positive" celiac support organizations and
their members have made "joint efforts" to get the attention of the
National Institutes of Health, the American College of
Gastroenterologists, the American Gastroenterology Association and the
World Congresses of Gastroenterology to address the problems of diagnosis.
 We have also banded together to address the labeling
problems associated with identifying foods that are toxic to celiacs. It
is a "great" achievement that through the efforts of many  devoted
"active" groups , the American Celiac Task Force  (ACTF) was formed to
make a major step in getting this celiac problem addressed. In
comparison to the long time and problems that it has taken those
afflicted with other autoimmune diseases and their  issues, ACTF
has made considerable progress in a very short time.

It is true that pending bill is not 100% perfect, but it does address
the wheat problem which creates more than 90% of our problems. Now who
bears the burden of implementing? It is the many food producers,
suppliers, distributors and servers who will have to make it a success.
It is not a complete solution but it certainly is a major step in the
right direction.

* Now here come some "Johnny come latelies" who want to attack all
the  hard work that has been done this past year and say "all or none".
I am happy and very proud to be one of the founders and a member of
the  board of directors of  Celiac Disease Foundation .  CDF has been
very instrumental in the  advancements made in  improving the awareness
of  the needs  of all celiacs . Our members have helped create many of
the sources of "good information" that we now enjoy (including this
listing service). It is the result of all the celiacs and physicians who
have made these efforts toward greater knowledge and information.

  I  urge all of you to  contact your Congressional leaders and them to
the efforts of the American Celiac Task Force  by ing HR 3684 and   I
also urge your to challenge those who were nowhere to be seen when this
united effort was started just over one year ago. support

Donald Baisch
Carlsbad, CA