Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 22:04:17 -0400

I had an experience tonight that I want to share with others
who have, no doubt, had the same experience.  A well-meaning
person, whom I thought understood how sick I've been for so
long and how horrible it all was, advised me to, "Get out
and do more.  Go out with your friends more often.  Go to
the gym and exercise more.  You'll feel better."

Slowly I turn...

I don't know of any phrase more asinine to utter to a
chronically ill person than, "Do more, you'll feel better!"
  And this phrase is usually uttered by someone who has a
wife, husband, or parent helping them with housework,
finances, and just the plain old aggravations of living,
though they are healthy.  Other chronically ill people have
more sense than to use this phrase.  They know that most of
us already put forth a superhuman effort just to accomplish
what we DO accomplish, and they applaud us for it.

Anyway, if there are others out there who have similar
gripes, feel free to share them with me.  Sometimes I think
  that the worst thing about this whole mess is the lack of
understanding - of WANTING to understand - that most people
display, even those who call themselves our friends.  I'm a
nurse and would never think to tell a sick person, "Aw, get
your sorry arse outta that bed and DO something!"

Okay, I'm off to climb Mt. Everest now.  See y'all later.

Shelia