From:
Lacustral <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lacustral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 2004 19:49:44 -0500

I wonder how much of my sickness, I have been sick so much of the time
since i went gluten-free and quit other food intolerances - how much of
it has been from trace amounts of corn.

Like I said I ate 1/16 of a grain of corn recently and I was sick for more
than a week.  Ironically after i'd quit corn (more or less, it's almost
impossible to quit corn absolutely) I felt better, then after I ate the
1/16 of a grain I was sick.  So I thought, OK, I can go off the corn-free
elimination diet now.

So it occurred to me yesterday that yes, I am still sick - but it's
because I was eating vanilla - with corn syrup in it - cough medicine -
with corn syrup in it --

and, the most delicious brownies in the world.  They are right downstairs
in my freezer.  They are gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan.  But they are
not cornfree - sigh.  They have the "I'm Healthy (ha ha) Soy butter",
which has maltodextrins etc. etc.

So if you are in upstate New York come and get one.

I'm feeling considerably better after a corn-free day.

And what else - the corn reaction *feels like* my allergies!  A muzzy
feeling in my head, postnasal drip, wiped out.

Yes really, I may have spent a lot of the last 20 months or so in misery -
because of eating vanilla, maltodextrins, etc.  It may have had a lot to
do with why I was so miserable last summer, even spending almost all of my
time in the wind from an air purifier.

It bothers me, because I sort of knew last winter.  When I got sick from
2 tablespoons of fructose, which is made from corn.  Those reactions were
confused by me also getting sick, maybe, from "roasted garlic oil", which
had "roast flavor", which is often made from barley ... I wasn't sure back
then whether gluten, corn or trace fungus in the fructose was making me
so sick.

It bothers me, because I hardly believed myself last winter that i could
get sick from so little corn (I believe it now).  I have a "discredit my
perceptions" subliminal tape going on in my mind.  It was like I had heard
males, authority figures, pooh-poohing the idea of people reacting to
such tiny amounts.  Corn allergy is Officially supposed to be very rare.
It may be, but corn intolerance isn't.  Just in the "discredit" bag of the
mainstream.  So i may have lost many months of my life to a woozy stupor -
because of a labeling of such perceptions as hypochondriac.

I suspect I shouldn't get allergy drops, at least until my non-gluten food
intolerances have gone away.

Yes, I do have the IgA reactions to gliadin and the autoimmune antibodies
of celiac disease.

People who think they are eating a corn-free diet probably aren't.  It's
almost impossible.  Produce may be waxed with a corn-derived wax,
iodized salt has corn, sorbitol in toothpaste comes from corn ...

Laura