From:
Patrick Dean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 11:59:22 -0500

Hi folks,

I received a lot of responses about my rapid weight gain.  Instead of
replying to each of them I thought it would be easier to reply to the
list.  Here's the story:

Fortunately for me, my girlfriend (wife now) had been diagnosed with
celiac a year earlier.  So I was already familiar with the diet.  I
was able to start eating really good food right away.  For the first
week I ate normally and gained about four lbs.  Then I went away for
two weeks to Adrienne's family cottage.  I spent most of the time
eating.  My appetite was out of control.  In fact there were days that
I ate up to 12 pieces of toast on top of my regular meals.
My appetite continued to rage for several months.  I would sometimes
eat two or three helpings at a meal.  I didn't take any vitamins or
weight gaining supplements, I just ate.

Today I find myself wanting to snack, but I don't have quite the same
appetite.  Last year when I reached 165 lbs I started to work out
again.  I started riding my bike to work (26 kilometers round trip)
three or four times a week, and I went to the gym through the fall and
winter.  I just tried to gain back some of the muscle I know I lost
while I was sick.

I eat three or four pieces of bread a day, lots of rice, cheese, and
meat. And that's about it.

Patrick

Patrick Dean
Documentation Manager