From:
Deb & Eric <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deb & Eric <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2007 08:15:06 -0400

I received several responses, all with different information about the
results of the tTG IGG.  Before I summarize those, I will provide you with
information I received from my children's GI doctor and their pediatrician.
Also, information from LabCorp.

~The GI said that he didn't order that test and never does.  He doesn't know
why the lab ran it, but since they did, it warrants our attention.  He feels
that there could be gluten getting into our diet, (since it came back
positive) and would like to see us in 6 months to double check.  All the
other tests came back negative which he says means that we're following the
diet well, but there may be some traces somewhere.

~My pediatrician (who is pretty knowledgeable about celiac) said the IGA
test is the "active" test that determines what is actually going on in our
system at the present time.  He says the IGG test is more of a "memory" test
and that it tells what the body has come across in the past.  He says it's a
very unreliable test, has no idea why the lab would run it, and that I
should continue what I've been doing since every other test came back
negative.

~I called customer service at LabCorp. to inquire about why the test was run
since my doctor didn't request it.  They, too, had no idea why the test was
run.  She said that occasionally if some of the bloodwork is coming back
positive, the technician runs the extra test as a clarifier.  She looked at
all of the negative results and said there's absolutely no reason why it was
run.

So, as you can see, there seems to be some confusion as to the accuracy of
the test.  It also seems to be at the technician's discretion whether or not
to run it, even if it was not on the prescription.

The responses I received from the list (with my comments in parentheses):

~Usually IgG represents old antibodies to a prior exposure, but I'm no
expert.  (which is exactly what my pediatrician said)

~If the tTG IgG is positive, then start looking for where you are getting
gluten. Cross contamination issues, eating out, lotions, makeup, soaps,
medications, vitamins, pet foods and the list goes on and on. The tTG IgG is
used when a person is IgA deficient. Does that person have a low total IgA?
(no one in my family is IGA deficient)

*******
*******