From:
Caroline St-Pierre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Caroline St-Pierre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:58:09 -0500

Hi everyone

Thank you to anyone who replied to my post regarding eczema and potentiel food allergies. I received over 35 responses. It seems like a lot of you have had similar experiences. Five persons suggested elimination/challenge diet was the only way to figure out allergies/intolerances since blood or skin pricks do not pick up subtle reactions. Five persons said that cortizone cream didn't do much good for them as the ointment is just a mask for what is really causing eczema. Three persons figured their eczema was not allergy-related (14, 15 & 16)

What to do :

1)       Supplement with zinc if poor night vision

2)       Using a variety of supplements, determined and dosed by Klinghardt's energetic methods

3)       Borage oil capsules and pierce them, putting the oil directly on the affected skin as well as taking it orally (essential fatty acids play a big role in combating overactive immune responses/allergies)

4)       Elimination diet (You start with a really basic diet for about a week: rice, carrots, a bit of chicken without spices, just a little salt and be careful of what kind of oils you use. After that, add back one thing at a time)

5)       Rotation Diet

6)       Enzyme Potentiated Desensitisation

7)       Reactions were so delayed that it was really difficult to identify the culprits so Food allergy testing was helpful for me. They take 2 vials of blood and then culture it against a lot of food allergens, about 100 of them. It takes a few weeks to get the results.  I also had stool testing done for soy and gluten.

8)       vitamin shots, mostly an array of the various vitamin Bs

9)       betamethasone (synthetic cortisone) cream,

10)    400 IU of vitamin E a day did it for my husband

11)    essential fatty acids such as omega 3 oils

12)    test kit from York lab.  It is costly, but worth every cent

13)    acupuncturist who does NAET(Nambudripad Allergy Elimination Treatments) work

14)    Not allergy-related --Topicort cream - not a steroid and my skin cleared up in a few days (It is very expensive)

15)    Not allergy-related -- herpes zortex (shingles) which goes along with Celiac; I use zovirax ointment at first sign, and it is gone in a couple of days.

16)    Not allergy-related -- I have several compounded creams prescribed, which keep it under control, for the first time in my life

17)    Cetaphil non prescribtion hydration cream

18)    One prescription ointment that worked wonders for me is Protopic. I only use it when I have a bad flare up and it seems to begin to reverse the problem with even one use. It doesn't initially feel good with the ointment on it, but does wonders to heal it. I think it's one of the safe options, but I even limit that if I can control it with diet, Cetaphil, stress management. They might give you a sample to try and you
could see if it works--it's horribly expensive as most meds are.

19)    drinking oolong tea has been a cure for some people with eczema

Main culprits (food related) :

1)       dairy (8 persons)

2)       soy (3)

3)       eggs (3)

4)       citrus fruits (3)

5)       nuts, seeds and their products (3)

6)       Tomatoes (2)

7)       corn (1)

8)       anything acidic--fruit, coffee, tea, soda pop with ascorbic acid, candy with ascorbic acid, sometimes even red bell pepper, pickles or vinegar-based whatever, vit.C pills-will make it flare up immediately. for me with lasting effect. fruit, fructose and corn syrup

9)       sugar (1)

10)    grain fed meat (1)

11)    banana (1)

12)    kidney beans (1)

13)    yeast (1)

14)    cinnamon (1)

15)    moldy fruit (1)

16)    cheap olive oil (1)

17)    iodized salt as it may actually be DH (1)

Main culprits (non food related) :

18)    Stress is a horrible trigger

19)    dry weather is also terrible in the winter

20)    Heat can be a bother

21)    Tom's toothpaste

22)    it could be anything we eat, breathe, touch, smell...lotions, shampoos,

23)    holding something cold

24)    exercising

25)    candida (yeast) infections

26)    pesticides

27)    metal allergy to nickel

28)    Tide detergent

29)    herpes zortex (shingles) which goes along with Celiac; I use zovirax ointment at first sign, and it is gone in a couple of days.

Allergic reaction time :

1)       react right away or up to 3 hours later

2)       up to 4 days after ingesting the substance

3)       redness appearing 20 minutes after eating trigger foods

4)       2-3 days

5)       1/2 an hour after ingestion