From:
Kate Ozello <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kate Ozello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2012 14:22:01 -0500

Hello All!

Thank you so much for the valuable information on such an important
topic.  A 2nd summary is coming.  A food vendor from Italy sent my an
email with information regarding his company.  It was a more lengthy
email, so I'll forward it to the group separately.

Here are the responses:
***********
I work for the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness (NFCA), and we
offer a gluten-free training program called GREAT Schools, Colleges &
Camps. Several schools have successfully completed our training, so this
could be a wonderful option for your school district's staff.

Our Director of Gluten-Free Industry Initiatives, Beckee Moreland, is
eager to speak with you more on this topic. She also has some examples
and tips to share. I've cc'ed her on this email, and you can email her
directly at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Best,
Cheryl
***********
Kate,
I am a physician, and I have a child (and a spouse) with Celiac
Disease.  We live in Ventura, California.  I helped our district
(Ventura Unified) write their policy.  I worked with Sandy Curwood, who
is the Director of Food and Nutrician Services for the district.  You
can contact her at [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.  I have attached a copy of the
policy.
Good luck!
Michelle Azimov, M.D.
************
It's not a k-12 school, but a University.  University of California
Davis has a fantastic gluten free program implemented in all of their
dining halls.  Both my daughter and I are Celiac and I was able to eat
healthy and safe during parent orientation.  My daughter has been there
for 1 quarter now and has done fine.

Here was our contact at UC Davis.  I'm sure she could help with some
guidance or suggestions of who to contact regarding setting up a program.

Linda Adams RD
Director Sustainability & Nutrition
UC Davis, Dining Services
146 Student Housing
One Shields Ave
Davis, CA 95616
(530)  752-9604 office
(530) 979-7715 cell
***********************
Kate,
I have tried repeatedly to get our school district to provide a gluten
free option for my daughter with very little luck.  They will provide
her with a salad as long as I supply the salad dressing but I do know of
a school district that has a gluten free menu. Here is the link:
www.sunprairie.k12.wi.us/schools/westside/ws_menus.cfm?view=cal_view&categoryid=165&month=5&year=2011
<http://www.sunprairie.k12.wi.us/schools/westside/ws_menus.cfm?view=cal_view&categoryid=165&month=5&year=2011>
Best of luck.
Dawn Clements
Port Washington, WI
*******************

Hi Kate,

My old home town school district offers a gluten free menu.

Rochester School District in Rochester, Michigan.

Good Luck,
Lisa
San Diego, CA
I do not have personal experience but I can tell you that Fairfax county, Va
apparently offers a gf lunch option, so you may wish to contact them.
Fairfax County, Virginia has gf meals for the kids.

When I googled,I found this article...
http://americanceliac.org/healthcare-professionals/school-nutrition-services/

I know an assistant principal in the district, who might be able to tell you who to contact, if googling the district doesn't bring up any contacts.