Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 17:02:59 -0700

Thanks for all of the responses to my "need" for a hot
chocolate fix!!!  Here's some great ideas I received!!

I just use cocoa and sugar (or some chocolate milk
powders).  you can adjust it to your taste,start with
the hot chocolate recipe and use water in place of
milk.  instead of a "milk" chocolate taste, it has a
"dark" chocolate taste, which serious chocaholics
prefer anyway.

I bought Mrs. Fields Premium Hot Cocoa Mix at Costco.
Mrs. Fields phone number is 1-800-845-2580.

I got this recipe off of ZOOM (the PBS kid's show).
Hot chocolate mix
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup powdered milk (I use DariFree)
Use 3 TBL of this mixture and mix with 8oz hot water.

Yes, use Vance's DariFree and Nestles Nesquick. My son
drinks it with no
problems. He is on a casein free diet.

Vance's dairy free makes an excellent chocolate "milk"
which is a powder that
you add water to.  It makes awesome hot chocolate!!
It also keeps very well,
I had mine for over a year (I bought a huge box of it)
P.S.  It is made from potatoes!  (I know it sounds
gross, but it is
great!)

I searched forever for something to make the hot
chocolate mix with.  It is all pretty sick tasting,
but I finally started using this mixture and it is
tolerable to me.
Cocoa
sugar
100% Soya Protein Isolate (a 91% protein source made
entirely from soybeans with no added ingredients)
 It is made by Fearn and I get it at my local health
food store.  I prefer it when I need a 'dry milk'
substitute.
It is made by:
Fearn Natural Food Division of Modern Products.
Mequon, WI 53092
 So many of the soy powders have other additives and
so they can call them protein drink mix for athletes
and such, but this one is simple and easier to use.
It was a bit less in cost also.  I am not affiliated
with them in any way, shape or form.  I don't have a
recipe for the hot cocoa mix.  I just use the common
sense method.
 I prefer to just mix the sugar and cocoa well then
dissolve it in hot 'Silk Soymilk' brand soy milk that
I buy at the grocery store for about $3 a half gallon.
 It is in the milk section.  I can drink the silk
Soymilk plain, it is that good.   It is never going to
taste like milk but it is richer than any other soy
milk I have found.   When I use it in cooking it works
really great, especially mashed potatoes.  It comes in
Plain (my preference), vanilla flavor, and chocolate.
The chocolate is good.  I am diabetic and overweight
so I don't drink the chocolate very often.  The
vanilla has a bit more sugar grams in it than the
plain but is good also.  Since I started with the
plain, I prefer it.  It is about the best soy milk I
have found.  I hope this helps.  I have all the
related intolerances that can go with CD but the
Lactose/casein intolerance is almost to the point of
allergy with me.  If I can tolerate it, it has to be
totally free of those things.

Use Diamond chocolate almond milk (or any rice or soy
milk), and add extra cocoa and sugar, or gf chocolate
mix. (I just squeeze Hershey's choco syrup in and
stir).

Thanks again to everyone who responded!!!

Cheryl