From:
Jennifer Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 20:34:08 -0500

Thanks to all who responded about my question about ways to get enough
fiber on the GF diet.  Here's the summary:

----------

Dry beans, metamucil, apples, and potatoes with the skin on, etc.  In that
order.

Dry beans are especially high; though pintos bother some with IBS, kidney
beans do not usually.

----------

My 5 1/2 year old son has been on the gf diet for over 4 years.  We have to
be extra careful because of colon problems Alex was born with.  He must have
at least 10 grams of fiber per day (an adult would need 20 grams) and he can
only eat one serving of meat and dairy each day.  We also need to limit yeast
breads, bananas, applesauce, and other binding foods such as cake or
marshmallows.

We eat only brown rice and our potatoes are usually baked or oven fries (with
the skin left on.)  Alex has learned to eat dried fruits like raisins, dates
(they are wonderful), pears, and prunes.  I always try to serve a raw veggie
such as lettuce salad, celery and carrot sticks, raw spinach salads (all
three of my under 12 year old boys now like raw spinach), or cabbage.

----------

An easy way to incorporate fiber is to eat fresh fruits and vegetables.
Brown rice is also a great source of fiber.  I include rice bran in several
of my baking recipes to increase their fiber content, also.

----------

Veggies!  Plenty of veggies!  Instead of sandwiches for lunch, eat vegetable
soups.  Travels well, easy to reheat, tastes good, can be made in a gazillion
of variations, and is just as good gluten free as gluten infested.

----------

Lots of fruits and vegetables!  I eat lots of salads (especially good when
you want to go out to lunch with people, since lots of places have salads
that are safe when the rest of their menu is more questionable), carry
bananas and/or apples to work as snacks, include celery and carrot sticks if
I bring lunch, etc.

----------

This is a very good question.  I'm atypical in my symptoms.  Rather than
experiencing diarrhea, gluten causes constipation for me.  That, and weight
gain.  So fiber is essential.

Rice bran works very well.  It can be incorporated in baked goods, sprinkled
over hot or cold cereal, or just stirred into a glass of juice or water.  I
also use a product that contains psyllium husk.  I even use double the amount
recommended, and I still often get constipated.  It's very annoying.

Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables help.  Popcorn also is a good source of
fiber (if you can tolerate it).

----------

I'm sure you'll get these same suggestions a hundred times, but here is
what works for me.  Add some brown rice to your diet.  In my family we
alternate between brown and white rice, long and short grain, just for
variety as well as fiber.  Add in more vegetables to your diet.  And if
more fiber is need Metamucil is gluten free. and their Sunrise Smooth
formula tastes alright.

----------

i eat alot of rice and i take 1 tsp flax meal daily with water and that
seems to be enuff along with lots of slads and vegetables.

----------

This has always been an issue withhte GF Diet as many of the flours appear to
be highly processed.  To help overcome this problem for my family I do the
following:

1.  Add rice bran to casseroles, pasta sauces etc.  This adds fibre, thickens
and doesn't adversely affect the taste.  Also as my children are unaware of
it they don't protest.

2.  I add grated carrot, apple or mashed ripe banana to pizza bases.  This
adds moisture as well as fibre and helps it stay together.

3.  Add grated apple to cakes - again it helps to overcome the tendency of
the GF flours to be dry while adding fibre and nutrition.  I don't feel so
guilty eating them when I know they aren't totally devoid of nutrition.

4.  Fruit smoothies - can be made dairy free if required.

5.  Fruit and vegetables - both raw and cooked.  A simple, easy and often
overlooked source of fibre for everyone.

I hope these suggestions can be of help.  I have found that with a little
thought most of the problems assocoated with being GF can be simply and
tastfully overcome.  My daughter has been Coeliac all her life although only
diagnosed 5 years ago and we have found that we can eat very "normally"
without too much change to the types of foods we eat - only a few of the
ingredients need to be changed.

----------

My doctor said check foods for fiber content and take psyllium once or
twice
a day.  I take it in Metamucil [orange] with Kyogreen added.  It ain't
pretty, but it helps.  We need I think 26 grams of fiber a day.

----------

Add a supplement.  I have found one that is a store brand that is just
psyllium with no additives.  Check labels carefully.

----------

I drink 3 glasses (sometimes just one or two but maximum of 3) of Metamucil a
day.  It is wonderful stuff and really makes a big difference.  It is also
fabulous for counter-acting allergic food reactions, esp., if you have a
gluten accident.  I drink the Original plain flavor since I am allergic to
corn and the orange has some corn derivative in it.

----------

The best way to get fiber is to eat fruits and vegetables.  When my son was
diagnosed 2 years ago, he eventually became constipated, and the dietician
gave us a list of the fiber content in many foods.  Of course, the first on
the list is BRAN, which you CAN'T eat, but she explained that anything that
was ever growing in the ground contains fiber.  So I'm constantly trying to
get my son to eat more fruits and vegetables.

The other high fiber foods we've found are Ener-G Tapioca Loaf, which happens
to be the bread he likes best, and Van's wheat free/gluten free waffles.

They come in regular, apple cinnamon, and blueberry.

----------

Using legumes and bean flour helps.  Also using and eating brown rice.

Another product I found in the health food store is apple fiber.  I far as I
know there is no gluten in it.

----------

Eat lots of green, raw salads, and lots of nuts.

----------

Sprinkle flax seed meal or rice bran on foods or put in 1/4 cup with
flour when making bread.

----------

Here are some of the ways I have added fiber to my diet:
  fruits with edible skins (pears, blueberries, strawberries,
  peaches...these all seem to do better than apples)
  flaxseed granola ( I have a recipe if you need one)
  Nutlettes (soy nugget cereal)
  Rice Bran and or Rice Polish (both from ENER-G)
  nuts..almonds, peanuts and pecans are all good
  Metamucil (I don't know if all varieties are GF, I use the regular
    flavor, original texture)

----------

I take a heaping tablespoon of rice bran every day and it works fine.  I get
this item at the asian store.  I wash it down with a glass of orange juice.

----------

Very good question...I had to deal with this issue when a doctor told me I
needed more fiber in my diet.  I thought I was getting enough but when I
started actually figuring it out I wasn't close to the 20-30 grams which is
ideal.  I tried to increase the fruits and vegetables even more but realized
I needed grains.  So I completely switched to brown rice products and learned
how to make a bread that was good.  My digestive system is now functioning
much better so it was worth it.  I eat cooked brown rice as a cereal in the
morning plus eat homemade brown rice bread toasted.Because brown rice takes
about one hour to cook I cook a quantity at a convenient time -in the evening
when I am not rushed - let it cool and then store in refrigeration (up to 3-4
days) or freezer.  Then I take out the cooked rice and add milk and whatever
fruit/flavorings I want and heat.  Its wonderful, cheap and nutritious.  It
can also be used for other meals by adding onions, veggies etc.  Brown rice
is bland so it takes whatever flavor you add so its not boring.  There are
many different brown rices available to try.  Brown basmati and wehani are
good to mix and very the diet.  They smell like popcorn when cooking.

----------

I use as much brown rice, brown rice flour and Jowar (sorghum) as possible.
There may be other good options, but that's all I've tried so far.

----------

You can add rice bran to cereals, breads, muffins.  Also rice polish can be
added to any of these also.  I eat three prunes with every meal and of course
there are always vegetables and fruits.  It can be done.  Also use brown rice
instead of white rice.

----------

Fresh fruits and vegetables are an excellent source, rice bran added to
baked goods adds a little. I prefer to go the "natural" route - whole
foods and not adding something just for the sake of fiber.

----------

Fruit, veggies, beans if you eat them, nuts...absolutely nothing different
than before except you're not substituting for real food with "enriched"
bread.  I not only eat GF, but lower carb., and have no trouble with fiber.

----------

Eat plenty of veggies [broccoli, cabbage, et al] and add ground flax
seeds (which should be refrigerated)---about 2 T per day.  That is more
than sufficeient.....and it will help your heart, as well.

I just got this info from my nutrionist about 15 min ago

----------

Fiber is hard to get in any diet
try adding rice bran to your breads ( replace 1/3 of white rice flour or
   something-says on box)
nuts
raisins/dried fruit
popcorn
salads
fruits -leave on the skin/juice doesn't work
veggies

I eat a lot of fruits & vegetables, nuts, and I think I'm o..k.