From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 11:06:49 -0700

Hi Everyone,
A couple of late additions to my summary are very interesting:

****************
<The gluten can not come thru the cow in the form of grain, or any other
animal for the matter.>
I seem to have this affliction, as do all three of my children, and now my
only two grandchildren. My daughter who has the most trouble with gluten
has nursed her baby, now 9 months, and he was terribly upset at first until
she went off gluten entirely (as she has in the past on occasions). He has
cleared up completely, but if she slips up and does gluten, it goes right
through her mother's milk to the baby. She's not a cow, but the gluten or
the antibodies or something does go through her milk to the baby.
****************
I've always had white flecks on my nails. I eat well and take vitamins. I
don't think they mean much of anything.
****************
Unknown to US consumers some fruit and vegetable packers dip their
produce in a vegetable based solution that retards spoilage - it is
probably a corn starch base, since corn starch is extremely stable even
under humid conditions. Unfortunately, US produce producers are not
required to label the produce so to be on the safe side wash or better
yet peal all "fresh" produce to be safe. Luckily a Canadian Celiac
noticed the label on a bag of Canadian produce and reported it to the
Celiac List.

Your itching if it is not a HF rash it is called "subcutaneous hives"
and is a sign that you may be suffering the early stages of the
histamine and allergic cascade. I mention this because this can be the
early stages of "anaphylactic shock". Have you had any nausea or
cold/shivering spells associated with these itching attacks. If so, you
should tell your Doctor about the reactions. He/she may want you to
carry an EPI pen to counter this possible life-threatening condition.
A final note if your realize that you have eaten some gluten (and that
means from any grain) you might try eating several tablespoons of sugar
right away. This will cause your digestive track to stop processing the
offending protein and digest the sugar. Happily this stops the process
and often can stop or lessen the itching before it starts. Also in a
cascade reaction, sugar (in enough quantity) can be used to sidetrack
the process.

Thank you again to everyone.

All the best,
Susan