From:
Mary Kretzmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Kretzmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:56:03 -0800
<<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your
situation.>>

Hi everyone!

I've been gluten free for over two years now, and I've learned to make a lot of wonderful "substitutes" - but a special "favorite" has eluded me.

In the grand scheme of things, I know it does not matter...but I will feel the culinary gods have smiled upon me if I could have a wonderful, gluten free almond-filed croissant every other year or so. (I can't really justify the calories very often!)  It would be worth the shipping cost to achieve this end...My son and daughter are also GF  - so we would all enjoy them. I've heard there is a wonderful GF bakery in Philadelphia...does anyone know the name of it? It would be wonderful for Easter, or anytime!

I know this is ridiculous on one level. But really - it is the only thing I miss - and I only used to allow this delectable treat very rarely! (Every other year or so - so I guess I am just about overdue!) - but I always knew they were there...One of those little civilized touches in life that let that say, "humans can' be all that bad...they developed the croissant, did they not?"

Isn't it odd, the things we miss? I make a great French bread...so that helped my son - he missed garlic bread. Cakes, bread, lasagna, and more - we have done well with these. I find if I can produce great food - it keeps my son on track. (He's 12 now - so he's out and about amongst the gluten on school outings, etc. )

I've seen many recipes and products on this list...but never for croissants....I am a baker - so I know the dough would be tricky. Would possibly need the wonder dough on celiac.com.  But I would love to try someone's else's masterpiece, if it exists. Ideally - a croissant should simply be there...a culinary gift wafting down from the clouds...

Hmm  - I could almost write a poem! Don't worry - I'm okay...really!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! I am so thankful for the health we have achieved on the gluten free diet - and that we have learned to make so many other wonderful GF foods!

Sincerely,

Mary K.