From:
Malia Paulsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 03:35:37 EDT

I have been diagnosed/observed for Sprue and have been wheat free for over 3
months now and have noticed a dramatic improvement.  I had one set back when I
had a brownie (I am 20, I couldnt resist) and I noticed problems come back.
Other than that my symptoms have nearly disapeared, occasionally I'll feel the
pain, or have other problems, but it is never as severe as what it once was.
My doctor thought that I might have simply had an infection that cleared up,
or it was sprue.  However due to the reduction in symptoms and the problems I
notice when I do get ahold of gluten have me convinced that it is Sprue.  He
in the past discussed eventually doing a "gluten challange" to confirm things.
I am convinced enough by what I have personally observed that I dont want to
fiddle with things any longer, plus I am affraid of doing the challange and
getting sick again.  I guess my question here is do people think I have enough
proof to not do a challange, or is it something that should be done?
My next question is how do people deal with this emotionally?  I still get
upset when I cant eat foods I like and I have found my self crying over it too
( which is especially embaressing in a public restaurant)  What tricks have
people learned to get through this?
My third question...what candy/candy bars are safe?  Sometimes all a person
needs to smile for a momment is a junk food indulgence :)
Thanks for your time!
Malia