From:
steeplechase19 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:53:25 -0500

The question was:
Had anyone had success lowering cholesterol levels with  Psyllium
(Metamucil)?

Only one person had "success" using Psyllium.  His cholesterol decreased
100 by using Metamucil and exercise.  This took 2 years, and when he was
no longer exercising the cholesterol level increased by 50.  He felt
exercise was the more important component.

6 people had heard Metamucil was helpful but had no specific results.

One warned that it interferes with absorption of fat but also other
nutrients.  One cautioned that it be taken with large quantities of
water.

One gentleman (not himself a celiac) lowered his cholesterol from 357 to
204 in a 3 month period with Ricebran (available from Ener-G.)  His wife
(a celiac) was unable to tolerate the ricebran and he felt this might
also be a problem for other celiacs.  He felt celiacs might re- act in a
similar manner to the psyllium.

2 persons had tried cholesterol-lowering drugs, one successfully and one
had reactions and had to discontinue the medication.

Other suggestions were:  flax seed, soy, rice bran, niacin, fiber foods,
exercise, reducing stress, garlic--fresh and supplemental, olive oil,
vitamin E, and weight loss.

One gentleman wrote me that Metamucil was not GF, however I reconfirmed
with P&G.

The customer service department states the grain is GF, the maltodextrin
from corn and the citric acid GF.  In a subsequent message with this very
nice man, he suggested that I repeat this information to the list.  I was
using unflavored, loose pack Metamucil.

So, I did not find much concrete support for Psyllium as an aid to lower
cholesterol.  I have not been able to tolerate it well during the first
week I tried it, but will "rest" my system and try once again.  To all
those who wrote and are experiencing the same difficulty in controlling
cholesterol levels--I wish you good luck.

Coralie in NY