From:
Sara Downey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sara Downey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2007 17:06:50 -0500

I wrote to Sees again to ask about gluten and here was their response:

Thank you for visiting Sees.com <http://sees.com/> and for your nice
comments regarding our products.  In response to your request for
information about the presence of gluten in our candies, our Quality
Assurance Manager has advised that we have reformulated our products and we
have eliminated wheat as a direct ingredient in all of our candies packed in
standard boxes.  Therefore, none of our Custom Mix pieces contain gluten as
a direct ingredient and cross contact is no longer a possibility.  We do
wish to advise that the vinegar used in our Butterscotch Lollypops and
Little Pops is grain based.

Recently, See's introduced Sugar Free Peanut Brittle and Sugar Free Dark
Walnut Clusters to our product line.  Our Quality Assurance Department is
researching these candies to determine if gluten is a direct ingredient in
the sugar substitutes.  Also, we are confirming whether there is any wheat,
wheat gluten, or other wheat ingredients in the products manufactured for
See's such as Sugar Sticks, Climber Canes, Sour Stars, and our Foil Wrapped
Milk and Dark Chocolate Balls.

We are still in the process of changing our packaging labels and expect to
have this completed by the end of this year.  Some of our product labels
still list wheat as an ingredient.  However, this is no longer the case.  We
hope this information is helpful.

Thank you for your interest in See's Candies and we hope to have the
opportunity to serve you soon.

Denise Becerra

See's Candies Customer Service

After recieving multiple emails asking if I knew about barley malt I sent
them a second email inquiring about it. Here was the second response:

Hello again.  Our candies packed in our standard boxes do not contain
barley.  Also, we no longer use malt powder as an ingredient.  We used to
make a Malt Truffle which contained malt powder however this piece has been
discontinued from our product line.

I hope this information is helpful.  Please let me know if I can be of
further assistance.

Denise