From:
Linda Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 10:49:37 -0600

Because I am an "DES Daughter" (my mother took the drug diethylsilbestrol
while she was pregnant with me -- a drug commonly given to pregnant women
between 1938 and 1971) with abnormal results from my most recent
gynecological exam, I have gone out onto the Net to read up on DES
exposure, and I came across references to increased risk for autoimmune
disorders... "in which an individual's immune system over-reacts, acting
against oneself." Celiac disease is not specifically mentioned, but many
related disorders are.

Whether you are male or female, if you were born between 1938 and 1971 you
should check with your mother, father, or other relatives to find out if
your mother was given any drug to prevent miscarriage during the time you
were in utero. The drug was even offered as "a vitamin to make big healthy
babies" and was not only offered in pill form, but also as a cream,
suppository or by injection. The drug's use was not limited to the United
States, and in fact was offered (is still offered) in other countries for
even longer periods of time.

A lot of information can be found on the following website and through
links available from this site:

  http://www.teleport.com/~skeely/

The following page has reference to autoimmune diseases and DES:

  http://www.teleport.com/~skeely/faqs_des.htm

--
Linda Blanchard
Midland, Texas, USA