From:
Howard Kass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 01:26:08 -0500

Reply to message from [log in to unmask] of Wed, 13 Dec

>Peter (14 months, 14 pounds, failure to thrive) went GF 6 weeks ago.
>I've been adding an
>egg yolk to each 8-oz bottle of Rice Dream (he seems more irritable on milk,
>and gets rashy from soy).  He drinks 12-16 ounces of this a day, plus 8 oz of
>water.    Could something
>similar be happening with the egg?   (Any ideas on what to
>feed a baby with poor appetite, who doesn't tolerate milk or soy, who needs a
>GF diet, who may have trouble with eggs, who has only 7 teeth, who won't eat
>meat, and who refuses any food that he can't feed himself?  Needless to say,
>at 14 months & with developmental delays he can't handle a spoon himself.)

I can only tell you what I did with my  kids, (4).  None of them had any
teeth until they were 14 months old, but that did not stop them from eating
"solid" foods.  If you put your finger in Peter's mouth you will find all
the teeth, they have just not come out from under the gums.  He can still
use them.

Being vegetarians, we gave the kids beans (lima, string,
garbanzo,etc).  If he eats them with rice at the same meal they have as much
protein as meat.  My kids loved  them.  You can also give him other
vegetables cooked just enough to soften but firm enough for him to hold.
Fruits are also great for kids.  As far as other sources of protein try
fish.  Tuna or salmon out of the can are great and he can eat them with
his hands.

I think I would have him tested for an egg allergy.  I would also be leery
of feeding him raw eggs (salmonella).

I hope this is helpful.  Sounds like you have your hands full.  I hope
Peter is feeling better soon.

Cindy

--
Howard J. Kass, CPA                        [log in to unmask]
Cindy Koller-Kass                          Voice: (216)831-4141