From:
Kim Goodman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 16:39:12 EDT

OILS

- Since we all suffer from greater or lesser amounts of malabsorption, if
undigested oil gets into the large intestine, it will go rancid, or act
as an unusual food for intestinal flora, causing gas.  This is similar to
what happens to non-celiacs when they eat too much Olestra.

- Someone recommended: BREAKING THE VISCIOUS CYCLE,  by Elaine Gottschall
     preview the book at      www.scdiet.com

-    1. definitely avoid canola oil
     2. Olive oil is ok for both cooking and salads etc.
     3. Coconut oil is even better for cooking than olive oil because it's
structure withstands high heat..Plus new research shows it's not bad for the
heart like once thought plus it has many benefits.

- If I remember correctly, some potato chips themselves are not gf because
they use flour to hold the potato mash together during cooking.  Same is true
of corn chips, and one brand that seems to bother a lot of people is Tostitos

- Somewhere in the archives, there should be a post about cottonseed oil.  If
I recall correctly the person who posted it said that many celiacs react to
cottonseed oil.  Although not all celiacs do.  The same thing is true of
casein, a protein found in cheese.  She was fairly sure that neither
cottonseed oil or casein actually contain gluten, just that some celiacs
reacted to these with diarrhea.
    This is certainly true of me with cottonseed oil.  I cannot eat any
product, containing cottonseed oil without getting very ill.  However I have
not had any problems with hydrogenated oils.  I still eat potato chips cooked
in oil (just not cottonseed oil) and other store bought products.  However, I
do use non-hydrogenated oils at home, because they are healthier for you.

- Very few products that are fried in oil (e.g., potato chips) are processed
in dedicated facilities.  The chances are that Lay's (or any other brand)
potato chips share the same oil as snacks containing gluten, and there is
enough proteins transferred in the oil to cause a problem for celiacs.
Products that contain mixed oils are normally not a problem, but items that
are fried in oil frequently do cause problems.  The oils that consistently
draw complaints from celiacs as an ingredient in foods are canola oil and
rapeseed oil.  They are both the same oil, but with different marketing
labels.  The speculation is that because rapeseed is a rotation crop with
wheat, that some of the wheat seeds from the previous year sprout and grow
with the rapeseed to be harvested and pressed into oil, thereby contaminating
the rapeseed oil with gluten.

- About oils, after trying all sorts of oils for salads, cooking and in
manufactured products - I've found that the only one that does not produce
any discomfort of any kind is soy oil.  I use only soy oil.  All others are
problems.  Soy oil is on the grocery shelf in a plastic bottle, the label
reads 'Crisco' and in small print it reads 'soy oil'

- My son can only tolerate Corn Oil (Mazola) and Olive Oil.  There may be
some others out there but he has had trouble with a few so we stick to those.

-  Hello, Kim,  As long as the "vegetable" oil says "corn, cottonseed, or
sunflower,"  you should be ok.  "Hydrogenated" is relevant for heart disease,
but should have no effect on celiac.  If you are reacting to Lays and they
are Lay's original (some of the flavors of some chips use wheat starch, I
don't remember which), it's a complication or another food allergy you have
and not celiac.  This is very common.  My (celiac) daughter Katy is allergic
to rice, of all things.  Most olive, peanut, safflower, etc. oils and
margerines are ok.  Where the margarines use annatto color, you should
question the source.

- Well let's see.  I try to avoid foods that have hydrogenated oils in them
UNLESS I know it is gluten free.  One thing I will mention upfront, Lay's
Potato Chips are at a high risk for cross contamination.  Frito Lay states
that the ingredients in plain lay's chips and plain Ruffles chips is gluten
free.  But they are made on the same assembly lines as the other gluten
containing products.  I ate two Ruffles chips the size of a quarter one time
and was sick for 2 days.  I've been eating Guiltless Gourmet chips that are
gluten free, but now I have been seeing information on them being
questionable.

The oils that my wife and I use depend on the task.  For frying we use corn
oil or peanut oil.  Mostly corn oil since it comes in bigger containers and
is cheaper.  For recipes and sauteing we use olive oil.  Vegetable oil has
been questioned because of cross contamination in the fields.  The fields
have vegetables and soybeans planted in a field after the wheat crop is taken
off.