From:
Troy and Amy Budreau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 14:37:32 -0600

Sorry this has taken so long for me to summarize, just had a lot going
on!

I didn't get a lot of responses and didn't really get an answer that I
was looking for--probably because my question wasn't very good, but I
suppose I didn't know how to word it to get the true question across.

I guess I'm just confused on dairy products in general a little.  I
don't know what is in the cottage cheese, and butter, and the like that
way that is "bad" for us.  I understand about the ice cream and
processed cheese and I know that block cheese is OK so that is really
what I was looking for when I asked the question--if this cheese factory
is one that does the block cheese and cheese curds, string cheese, etc
and not the bags of shredded cheese, what do I need to be looking for.

I did get one response from someone that knew the cheese factory I was
talking about and she said that she eats their cheese curds all the time
without a problem.

These are the other comments I got in case this would help anyone else:

1.  Aged cheeses (roquefort, bleu, etc.) have a mold growing in or on
them.  The mold is derived from bread, so these cheeses should be
avoided at all costs since cross-contamination could occur.

2.  I would specifically ask her for ingredients for the separate
cheeses - the other thing is - if they make blue cheese - what do they
use to 'inspire' the mold.

3.  would look for fillers (which you already have).  Anything they dust
the molds with to keep the cheese from sticking.  This is particularly
true if they do shaped cheese (a local place near here does cheese in
the shape of Texas).  Also, if there are any veined cheese (blue
roquefort etc.) what is in the vein. Sometimes that is a bread mold.
But for the most part cheese is GF so it should be safe.  There was a
great article about it in GF Living a few months back.

4.  'enzymes' can be introduced into the cheese to make it curdle via
bread crumbs.  I can't verify for this,  but I can verify after having
seen cheese being made this way, that some of the good cheeses that are
made in 'wheels' are often rubbed with vinegar to prevent mold from
growing on them while they are aged.  So if this little cheese factory
does that,  you may want to be careful if you choose not to eat vinegar.

5.  Dairy products aren't good for you.  Because dairy products are made
from milk and the cows are shot full of antibiotics, hormones and etc
and that gets into the milk

Thanks again to all that replied--I don't know what I would do without
this list!

Amy in Iowa