From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 18:31:12 -0800

        One reason so many celiacs have high cholesterol is many celiacs have
hypothyroidism.  According to Steven Langer MD, author of SOLVED: THE
RIDDLE OF ILLNESS, high cholesterol is a symptom of hypothyroid that can
often be treated with thyroid hormone replacement.  Quoting from his
book:  "...hypothyroidism can be diagnosed by high blood cholesterol, and
effectiveness of treatment can be determined by the decline in blood
serum level of cholesterol.  A give-and-take relationship apparently
exists between the decease in basal metabolism in thyroid deficiency and
the rise in blood cholesterol.  On the average, the rise in cholesterol
is approximately four times as great as the drop in metabolism."  He
reports from one researcher, E.F. Gildea that "two grains of thyroid
would reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels."
        Before I went gluten free, my total cholesterol was seriously high --
440.  One year later, just months after beginning the GF diet, my total
cholesterol dropped to 193.  I didn't understand the connection at the
time.  Now I believe it was because going GF improved my thyroid function
which in turn lowered my cholesterol.  ~Valerie in Tacoma, WA

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com