From:
Sue Newell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sue Newell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2011 21:27:05 -0400

A lot of people have talked to me about feeling frustrated
because they had such an intense craving for some
gluten-containing food they saw someone eating in a
restaurant or at a party.

If they managed to resist the food, they seem to be
frustrated at feeling tempted; if they gave in, they are
mad at themselves for giving in and making themselves
sick.

To help you cope with these situations, I've created
these tips.

Ten Tips for Resisting Something You Are Craving

1.  Have a drink of water. Water seems to help almost
every craving.

2.  Distract yourself. The more you dwell on the food,
the harder it may be to resist the craving. If you are in
a social situation, involve yourself in a conversation
about something else.

3.  Move yourself from the food in question, if possible.
Research shows that resisting a craving for about 20
minutes is generally sufficient to eliminate it.

4.  If this happens often in social situations, consider
carrying a special treat that you only eat in those
situations.

5.  Brush your teeth. Whether it is the physical stimulation
in your mouth or the "I'm done eating" association with
the act of brushing your teeth, it seems to work well for
many people.

6.  Try not to arrive in a tempting situation hungry, even if
you have to have a snack before you go to a dinner at a
place that you know will offer tempting foods.

7.  See if you can figure out what it is that you are
craving - is it the feel of the product in your mouth, the
crunch it makes, the salt or sweet taste, the effect of
chocolate? If possible substitute a food that matches
the sensation you are craving.  [Note - you may
not want to try to figure out the exact component of the
food you are craving at the point where you are acutely
craving that food.]

8.  Don't get mad at yourself that you are craving this
food. It is not a sign of a weak character.

9.  Recognize that not giving in to your cravings is the
right thing to do in both the short term and the long term.
By avoiding the food, you not only skip the negative
health consequences in the next few hours or days,
but you actually reduce your likelihood of dying early.

10. Remember that you are not alone in your cravings.

(This list can be reproduced in its entirety as long as
proper credit is given: Sue Newell,
www.LearntoEatGlutenFree.com.)

Looking for more help in dealing with issues like this?
Check out my email series Confident Gluten-Free Dining
at http://tinyurl.com/GFDining.

Best regards