From:
Susan Cleveley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Cleveley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 14:47:14 -0700

I wrote:
I will be traveling to Vermont and Cape Cod the week of April 27-May 4. I
have not lived in the area for over 10 years. Can anyone recommend
restaurants/stores that are GF friendly?

Support Groups

Vermont:
Bennington - Support Group
Contact: Lynn Grieger
Southern Vermont Celiacs
RD3 Box 586
Arlington, VT 05250
Tel: (802) 375-9069
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
St. Albans - Support Group
Contact: Carol Jones
Celiac Support Group of Vermont
650 Oakland Station Rd.
St. Albans, VT 05478
Tel: (802) 524-5156

Cape Cod - Support Group
Contact: Jean M. Roma MSN, RN/CS
Cape Cod Support Group
PO Box 653
MA 02635
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
************************************************************************************************************************************************
I believe there is a Bread and Circus on the Cape--you can check on their
website, which is Whole Foods. They have a large selection of GF food.
*************************************************************************************************************************************************
I've spent alot of time in the Falmouth (Cape Cod) and would be happy to
give you some suggestions for health food stores and restaurants there. I
live outside of Nashua, NH and if you'll be coming through here, I could
tell you where several restaurants and grocery stores are (right off the
Everett Turnpike).
**************************************************************************************************************************************************
Try www.goodhealthpublishing.com for a guide with a list of restaurants that
list their gluten free menu items.
******************************************************************************************************************************************************
There are some wonderful restaurants in Vermont that are GF friendly. In
Waterbury on Route 100 before the Ben and Jerry's factory is the Thatcher
Brook Inn. The owners, chef(Jonathan) and waitstaff (most of them) are
familiar with the diet and Jonathan is excellent at modifying a menu iitem
to make it safe. In South Burlington, the Windjammer has lots of safe
dishes and a great salad bar. I do the oil and vinegar. In Burlington the
Ice House is good but beware of their mashed potatos as they put flour in
it for some strange reason.
The Mill Brook Inn, The Steak Place, The Common Man are all located in the
Sugarbush valley are also good bets. Good luck and happy eating!
*******************************************************************************************************************************************************
I am not familiar with the area where you are going, but if you will go
to the Outback Steakhouse web site, on the bottom right, there is a
gluten-free menu and a location map. Outback Steakhouse has worked on this
menu for over 2 years, at I am sure,lot of time and expense and I think we
should patronize them whenever possible. I go to the local Outback
Steakhouse once a week, and have eaten all over this country with no adverse
effects. Good luck.
Stop and Shop stores are now carrying a variety of GF foods. Try both the
health food sections and thru out the store. They carry frozen waffles,
cookies, cereals, pasta, all in the health food section. Rice crackers are
in the international section. The IGA stores vary, but acouple in CT carry
many items as well.

Chili's is okay - I usually get the hamburger w/o a bun, and the mashed
potatoes - remember to say no gravy.

We go to Providencetown every year and the restaurants there are very
accommodating. Just be specific.