From:
rice cakes etc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 20:23:09 -0400

Dear Listmates,

A couple of weeks ago I enquired about the availability of this new drug in
Canada. The bottom line is that it is not yet approved in Canada, but was
approved for use in the States in January.

Briefly, the reason I wanted to try this drug is because it is one of a new
class of drugs called COX-2 inhibitors that are designed to work as well as
analgesics without the side effects of ulcers & gastrointestinal bleeding.
I have personally recently experienced bleeding problems from using Anaprox
(Naproxen) as my primary painkiller for the past 8 years. I am allergic to
codeine as well as being gf, so back in 1991 Anaprox seemed like a good
choice.

Anyway, many thanks to celiac listmate Len for suggesting I try
www.monsato.com.  All the information I ever wanted to know about Celebrex is
located at that site, including the info that Searle & Pfizer are the
companies manufacturing the drug.  My pharmacist gave me Searle's 1-800
number for Canada (1-800-387-7942) & today I got the news that it isn't in
Canada - yet.

Len also mentioned that both he and his wife have used Celebrex
successfully with no side effects.

If/when this drug is approved in Canada, I'll pass that info on to this list.

Helen in Vancouver, BC