From:
Esme Neely Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 17:15:58 EST

Hi All --

I guess other people wanted to know about play clays for kids as well. Of the
11 people who responded -- 8 wanted recipes or more info. Thanks to those who
sent info and that is what I am passing along.

Fimo or Sculpey clay polymers are available in art/craft stores. Andrea in
Maryland said she uses them with no problems, but has not checked the GF
status. I have seen addition info on these and I think we will try them as
well.

I do know that Play-Doh is made from wheat although a number of celiacs use
them without problem. That needs to be each person's personal choice.

One person said check corn starch boxes as they will sometimes have recipes
on them.

And Jay at Miss Robens sent the following recipes which are pretty much what
I had found previously in the archives. Here is what he sent to me -- thanks
Jay!

PAPIER MACHE PULP & PASTE
For 1 to 1-1/2 cups of papier mache paste, mix together one cup of GF flour
(see Bette Hagman recipe below), & 1 tsp xanthan gum, with 1 cup of water.
Keeping adding more water (about three (3) cups) and mix until all the lumps
are gone. Bring to a boil in a saucepan and cool completely. Make papier
mache pulp by placing several sheets of junk mail or newspaper
(torn into tiny pieces) into a blender or food processor with some water.
Strain the pulp using a colander or sieve. Mix the pulp with one tablespoon
or more of white glue if allowed based on food allergy.

For projects that require strips, tear newspaper into long thin strips. Dip
the paper into the paste mixture above and scrape the excess off with
fingers. Layer the paste covered strips onto your project.

Yet another paste recipe calls for 1/2 cup GF flour (like Bette Hagman recipe
below), 1/4 tsp xanthan gum, 2 cups cold water, 2 cups boiling water and 3
tbsp. sugar

Mix the flour and the cold water. Add that mixture to boiling water and allow
it to return to a boil. Remove from heat and add the sugar. Let the entire
mix cool and thicken. Once the mixture cools, it is ready to use.

Bette Hagman Gluten-Free Flour Recipe:
Blend together in a container:
1 cup white rice flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca starch

Also here are some others that may help your customers: (From:Cel-Kids
Frequently Asked Questions).

Some recipes for play-doh, as well as suggestions of modeling clay & beeswax

1/2 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup corn starch
1/2 cup salt
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup water
1 tsp cooking oil
food coloring
Cook and stir on low heat for 3 minutes or until it forms a ball.
___________________
Play Clay recipe (as found on Arm & Hammer Baking Soda, Bicarbonate of Soda,
sodium bicarbonate):

1 one pound box of baking soda
1 cup corn starch
1 1/4 cups cold water
Stir together baking soda and cornstarch in saucepan.  Add water and cook
over medium heat until mixture reaches consistancy of moist mashed potatoes
(approximately 10-15 minutes.) Remove and put on plate. Cover with a damp
cloth. When cool enough to handle, pat until smooth.
______________________

Edible SoyNut or Peanut Butter Play Dough
2 cups peanut butter or Soynut butter
1 cup honey
2-1/2 cups powdered milk (like Dari-free or baby formula)
1 cup powdered sugar
Use a strong mixer
_______________________________

Try polymer clays.  These can be found in most craft stores.  They do not
harden unless baked in your oven, and (except for the glow-in-the-dark clays)
they have the firm texture of real clay that Playdough lacks. They are far
more expensive than playdough, but if you consider the rate at which
Playdough dries out, the polymer clay's  "forever young"ness looks like a
real advantage.
________________________________

EDIBLE PLAY DOUGH
Mix together:  (I used the Kitchen-Aid mixer)
1/3 cup margarine
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1 tsp GF vanilla extract (or other flavoring)
Add 1 lb of powdered sugar.  Knead it.  Divide and add food coloring.
Then refrigerate to keep from spoiling (in a ziploc bag - this dough doesn't
dry out.)
____________________________

Another Edible Peanut Butter Play Dough

   1 cup peanut butter
   1/2 cup honey
   1 to 1-1/2 cups powdered milk
Spoon the peanut butter into a mixing bowl.  Pour in the honey.  Mix in 1 cup
of powdered milk and blend until smooth.  Add up to 1/2 cup more powdered
milk if you want a thinner consistency.
_________________________________

GF Flour Play Dough

   1 cup water
   1/2 cup salt
   1 cup GF flour mix (6 parts rice flour, 2 parts potato starch,
                       and 1 part tapioca starch)
   1-1/2 tsp. methylcellulose
   1-1/2 tsp. xanthum gum
   1 tsp. cream of tartar
   1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
In a wide-bottom pan, bring the wter to a boil.  Add the salt and stir until
dissolved.  Remove from the heat and add the remaining ingredients.  Knead
together when cool.  Keep it in a plastic bag or tightly-sealed container.
_______________________________

Try beeswax, it's much better than any type of modeling clay, for several
reasons:

* Beeswax is very clean--it does not get stuck in the carpet, in
  clothing, or in hair.

* The colors stay true--they don't mush together into that
  indescribable purply-brown.

* It doesn't need special containers.

* It doesn't dry out.

* We don't have to make it--we just buy small sheets of it.

* The smell is wonderful (and yet the dog doesn't eat it).

* And of course, it's gluten free!

Beeswax is easy to use. You hold it in your hands for a few minutes till it
warms up, then you can make whatever shape you want. If you want to save what
you've made, just let it get cold. If you want to modify it, hold it in your
hands again. It comes in a rainbow of colors. You can buy it mail order or at
a toy store, usually ones oriented toward natural products.  Try it as an
alternative to playdough!

Esme in Maryland