From:
Mike Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2009 11:52:47 -0400

Vans has long produced a popular line of GF waffles, and recently
introduced GF pancakes (also milk and egg-free, and quite delicious)
that include the ingredient MALT EXTRACT. I contacted Vans to ask
whether this is derived from barley, and indeed it is.

However after some correspondence, I believe the amount of gluten is so
small as to be inconsequential. Vans has confirmed (see below) that the
amount of gluten in the Malt Extract is tested to be less than 20 PPM;
AND the amount of Malt Extract in the pancakes is under 2% by weight.
This implies that the pancakes as a whole are under 0.4 PPM gluten. At
44 grams per pancake, if my math is correct, eating 100 pancakes a day
would result in having only 2 mg of gluten. While no studies have
conclusively established a safe lower limit on gluten per day, prior
posts on this list by celiac experts have speculated that 10 mg per day
is probably OK and 100 mg per day is probably not.

Here is a copy of correspondence from Van's: