From:
"Christine R. Childs" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 1995 20:31:55 -0600

On Mon, 17 Apr 1995, Robert Hewitt wrote:

> My 6 year old daughter was diagnosed as having celiac disease 2 years
> ago.  Since starting a gluten-free diet she has been very healthy, and
> has a good appetite and lots of energy.  However, she does have a problem
> with mouth ulcers, which come and go quite frequently.  In addition, she
> has small white flecks in some of her finger nails, which I believe may
> indicate some vitamin or mineral deficiency. If anyone can offer any
> suggestions regarding these two complaints, I would be very grateful.

The mouth ulcers may be caused by a type of herpes virus - it is very
common, annoying, and not much to worry about. My sister uses various
over the counter treatments, but prefers one with peroxide and glycerine
in it.  They may also be related to a vitamin deficiency. (I am not 100%
sure about this information)  Acidic foods can also aggravate the problem.
My son is also 6 years old and was diagnosed with celiac just before his
third birthday. He has suffered from a number of vitamin and mineral
deficiencies over the years.  Cramps in his legs indicated calcium and
magnesium deficiencies.  He now takes Animal Friends chewable vitamins
produced by twinlab, inc., RonkonKoma, NY 11779. They are corn, yeast,
wheat, gluten, milk, and egg free.  He seems to be doing much better on
these and has been growing in leaps and bounds! I hope this helps.

Christine Childs
The University of Montana