Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 08:17:34 -0500

Dear Listmates,

I am extremely grateful for the overwhelming response to my post
regarding celiac disease and lactose intolerance.  I received 60 emails
and here's the summary.

3 people said they have no problems with Lactaid 100 milk
One person said Lactaid 100 was gluten free
11 people said that Lactaid 100 is NOT gluten free (2 people stated that
   Lactaid Milk enzymes are brewed on mold or a wheat slurry so that is
   why it is NOT gluten free
7 people said the problem could be caused by an allergy to casein

Regarding the relief from gas pains and cramping:

2 people said they use Phazyme and that it is gluten free
One person said they use Gelusil tablets and they are gluten free
One person said they use Pepto Bismol and that it is gluten free
One person said they use Angostura Bitters=20
One person said they use baking soda and water
One person said they use Papaya enzyme pills for lactose or gluten
   accidents
2 people said that Beano is NOT gluten free
One person said they use Charcoal capsules

Regarding milk substitutes:

4 people said they use Rice milk
One person said they use Meyers Goat milk
One person said they use Dairy Ease
3 people said they use Blue Diamond Almond milk
2 people said that Rice Dream is NOT gluten free
4 people said they use Soy Dream or Eden Soy Organic Milk and that it is
   gluten free

3 people said they use the Lactaid Caplets with no problems
3 people said they use Lactaid liquid drops and add them to milk then
   let it set for 24 hours then they are able to drink milk with no
   problems.

Regarding cows and whether or not what they eat contaminates milk:

One person said that if the cows have leaky gut, then the Lactaid Milk
   could be contaminated with gluten
2 people said that if what the cows ate contaminated the Lactaid Milk,
   then we'd have a reaction to eating beef and chicken.

Several people said they use other sources to get their calcium in their
diet.  Most eat broccoli, tofu, spinach and sardines.

2 people said they add Veratrum Alb 30C to stop a gluten reaction
2 people said they use L-Glutamine

2 people recommended getting a book by Dr. Peter D'Adams called Eat
right 4 your type.  They have found the information therein to be
extremely helpful.  It is based upon your blood type and what foods
would cause problems if eaten by individuals with particular blood
types.

Several kind souls sent me the following links which were very helpful:

www.scdiet.com
www.gfcfdient.com
www.hon.ch/Library/Theme/Allergy/Glossary/casein_intolerance.html
www.pcrm.org/health/info_on_Veg_diets/dairy.html
www.panix.com/~nomilk/#ed
www.fastlane.net/homepages/thodge/MILKACT.txt

Again, I'd like to thank everyone for their emails, support and kind
words.

Good Health to all!

Donna