From:
George & Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George & Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2006 22:32:05 -0700

My husband and I have been filling out "Health Care Directive" forms for the State of Arizona, having to do with terminal illness or fatal accidental death, and part of that form concerns the possibility of donating our organs to another individual or individuals.

Years ago I began checking the "organ donor" box on my driver's license application, but I had not thought about the possibility of passing along celiac disease to the recipient of the organs that I might donate.  I have read newspaper articles about people who have received hearts or kidneys or ??? that have carried some form of disease with them.  In fact, there seem to have been cases where two or more people have received various organs from the same body and all have become infected with the same disease.

Do any of you know whether or not there is any reason to NOT donate our organs at the time of death?    Is it possible to only donate to someone else who has celiac disease already
(a son or daughter or other relative - for example).

Any advice that someone else on the list could give would be most welcome.

Gayle Kennedy